Wood table damage after 1st use

Old 10-12-18, 08:16 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wood table damage after 1st use

1 year old table and we are just starting to use it. After the 1st use, I have rings from the bowls and a grease stain that won't come out. I tried Murphy's Soap and basic cleaners. I've attached a few pics for reference.

Attached Images   
Old 10-13-18, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You can likely buff it out with some finishing oil and 0000 steel wool. I use tung oil.

You might even just be able to use the steel wool to buff it...but be advised. You'll need to do the WHOLE surface to keep it even. Go lightly and use the bare minimum of oil and pressure...you aren't trying to sand it. Wipe multiple times with a clean dry cloth...like an old T shirt.

Old 10-13-18, 02:42 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
After the 1st use, I have rings from the bowls and a grease stain
Were the bowls placed directly on the wood surface? That would be a no-no!

Old 10-13-18, 05:18 AM
S
Yes. Ive never eaten on placemats non my life even at other houses?? I have two young kids and know others with kids. Do they have special table ??

Old 10-13-18, 05:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Some finishes aren't as robust as others

Old 10-13-18, 06:57 AM
S
Should I try an iron over a towel trick?

Old 10-13-18, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Not sure how to repair but I find a table pad and a tablecloth necessary when eating on wood tables in order to protect them.
Don't know about the iron and towel but I guess you could try it. Can't see it would hurt anything.

Old 10-13-18, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
I put hot bowls of soup, hot plates, ice cold glasses of milk, etc on the US made oak table we bought when we got married and never had issues with water rings and such. I have a different oak table now...made overseas...treat it the same. What I recommended was what the place I bought the first one from said. Had that table 10 yrs and it still was like new.

Don't know what the finish was/is on either one...just know what works. I never use wax or furniture polish either.

Old 10-14-18, 08:19 PM
S
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
I put hot bowls of soup, hot plates, ice cold glasses of milk, etc on the US made oak table we bought when we got married and never had issues with water rings and such. I have a different oak table now...made overseas...treat it the same. What I recommended was what the place I bought the first one from said. Had that table 10 yrs and it still was like new.

Don't know what the finish was/is on either one...just know what works. I never use wax or furniture polish either.
I was quite surprised myself. Is there any concern with using an iron over towel trick?

Old 10-15-18, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator
I've never had to.....except to remove dents from unfinished wood. I guess thats for water rings and such? Isn't alcohol on a q tip also a fix...assuming not a shellac or other finish that could be damaged? I mean, it couldn't hurt I would think...but those don't look like the typical milky white water rings I'm familiar with.

Old 10-15-18, 07:27 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It's not clear from the post what caused the marks. The fact you have a grease stain leads me to believe you have a porous oil finish rather than a sealed poly or varnish finish. Were the rings caused by grease, water, or heat?

Rubbed oil finishes require extra caution that you don't set anything wet on them.

Old 10-24-18, 07:02 PM
S
It's not clear from the post what caused the marks. The fact you have a grease stain leads me to believe you have a porous oil finish rather than a sealed poly or varnish finish. Were the rings caused by grease, water, or heat?

Rubbed oil finishes require extra caution that you don't set anything wet on them.
Bowls with some pasta in them I believe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: