Work Bench materials

Old 12-31-18, 09:44 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Work Bench materials

I am new to woodworking/furniture building and would like to start with a simple work bench for my garage (start with something that doesn't matter as much if it looks bad). I have found a plan for building it, but I'm fairly intimidated with purchasing lumber due to the numerous types of wood, sizes, treating options, etc.

What would your recommendations be for a fairly inexpensive type of wood for a beginner's work bench? Would you buy it from Lowe's/Home Depot/Menards or do you have a better option for purchasing the wood?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-18, 10:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
For an inexpensive bench I'd use 2x4s and CDX plywood.

Old 12-31-18, 10:20 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Also a good idea to fasten/screw a thin layer of MDF on the surface. This will protect the underlying surface and can easily be replaced if/when it gets torn up.

Old 12-31-18, 11:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 630 Votes on 582 Posts
I built my workbench frame out of 2x4. Then I topped it with a sheet of 3/4" plywood. On top of that I screwed down 1/2" MDF. The screws are well recessed into pockets to not scratch anything on the bench. I do the two layer top so when the top gets gouged and scratched up I just replace the top sheet of MDF. The MDF is smooth and inexpensive so it makes a good working surface and can withstand heavy pounding because it's backed up well by the 3/4" plywood and sturdy frame.