How much weight 1x2 ledger?

Old 02-15-19, 06:03 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How much weight 1x2 ledger?

I'm installing a 1-1/2" oak butcher block countertop to support an aquarium, which will weigh at least 700 lbs when full. Will a 1x2 ledger bolted to the studs with lag screws be sufficient, or should I use at least a 2x4? Should I remove a strip of drywall and bolt the ledger directly to the studs, or will it be okay to bolt through the drywall? The countertop will be 25" deep by 54" wide. It will be hexagon shaped, so there will only be 14" of bearing on each side. I can also probably squeeze in a 2x4 support along the very back if necessary. This will be for a corner cabinet. I'll attach a pic of the cabinet as soon as it is assembled.

Last edited by mossman; 02-15-19 at 06:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-19, 09:31 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
I would not use anything smaller than 2x4, maybe even a 2x6.

Your into shear strength so you want to distribute the load across as many of the wall studs as possible.

Leaving the drywall is ok, it's the lag bolts that are taking the load.

So you have support on back and sides, what about front?

Old 02-15-19, 10:24 AM
M
I reduced the size of the tank a little, so it will actually be more like 500 lbs.

The counter top will be a pentagon shape, but the rear of the pentagon will be a separate piece (for access to a filter below), so the main countertop will only have about 12" of bearing on the sides. I may be able to put a support down the middle length-wise, but definitely not a 2x4 on end. I want the butcher block to be as close to the cabinet as possible.

Sorry it I didn't make it clear, but I am using a store bought corner cabinet and putting a butcher block top suspended above it to support the tank, since the cabinet is only rated for 200 lbs. Perhaps with the ledgers on the sides and support across the back, I could get away with the cabinet taking some of the load across the front?

Here's a diagram of the butcher block top. The cabinet underneath is about 2" narrower left to right and front to back.

Attached Images  
Old 02-15-19, 10:36 AM
M
Here's another diagram showing the proposed ledgers and cross brace/support (yellow boxes). The red box would be a 2x4 laid flat for the front of the butcher block to rest on the cabinet (if advisable). Dashed line is outline of cabinet underneath.

Attached Images  

Last edited by mossman; 02-15-19 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-15-19, 02:31 PM
M
I basically want to use the thinnest ledger possible so I don't have to space the cabinet away from the wall any further than necessary. I could add vertical supports down to the floor if necessary.

What type of lags would be best? Will cabinet screws work, or do I need to use something more heavy duty like the type used for building decks?

Old 02-16-19, 05:52 AM
M
I decided to use 5/4 boards for the ledgers and plan on making them flush with the cabinet's top. I will not be laying a piece flat across the top. The butcher block will rest directly on top of the cabinet so the weight is spread evenly across the surface. This in combination with two 3ft ledgers and a cross support should be plenty to support 600 lbs IMO. I may even put a couple vertical 2x4 supports under the rear brace for extra peace of mind.

Old 02-16-19, 07:53 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
Its not clear what the cabinet looks like but we had a 65 gallon aquarium years ago and I purchase a knock down base cabinet that matched others.

Internally I reinforced the sides and back with 3/4 plywood so weight would transfer to the floor.

From outside it looked normal but was built like a tank and not being built in it moved with us for several houses!

Old 02-16-19, 05:25 PM
M
Apparently I've met my 10MB quoted and can't upload anymore photos. The cabinet is actually pretty sturdy. Assembled with cam bolts/locks and many glued dowel pins. I ended up using 5/4 boards for the ledger, fastened to the studs with 3-5/8" deck ledger bolts. Had to add a brace on the end of the right side ledger because there was no stud nearby. Most of the interior walls are 24" o.c., which has bitten me more than once. Also added new outlets for all the electronics and aquarium related things (filter, lights, heater). So far so good.