Plywood built-ins grain direction matter?

Old 04-08-19, 06:57 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plywood built-ins grain direction matter?

Does it matter what direction the grain goes in when building shelves or cabinets out of plywood ?? is there a method to go by or is it more about staying consistent?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-19, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
Like I said I your other thread, you don't have to worry about your little narrow shelves sagging if they are fixed and you are nailing the backing to them. In that case it's hardly possible for them to sag.

Technically, plywood has more strength across the 4 foot wide axis than it does along the 8 ft axis. But when I make shelves I rip the plywood into 8 ft lengths then cut the shelves down to length. You often get more tearout when making the cross cuts across the 4 ft dimension.

you would want to be consistent... but if they are painted no one will be able to tell.

Old 04-08-19, 07:30 PM
R
The reason why I asked is I used pc software to get all the pieces I needed with as little waste possible.

After the fact I realized some pieces, the grain went in a different direction.

I was more concerned about the cabinets as they will have doors on them so I was going to leave them unpainted on the inside.

Attached Images  

Last edited by rufunky; 04-08-19 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-08-19, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
You probably just need to watch how you enter your dimensions in the first place. It may calculate it differently depending on whether you enter 20x28 or 28x20. Things are always designated w x h. Width (left to right when looking at the piece) x height (up and down when looking at the piece).

if it changes the way you enter the dimensions, there should be a way for you to override that.

Old 04-08-19, 08:50 PM
R
You're correct. I think I flip-flopped the dimensions a couple of times. I'm horrible with numbers.

Oh well, lesson learned. I already started cutting my pieces. at least all the corresponding pieces grain will match ( IE sides match tops and bottoms match). I guess I'll know to pay better attention next time.

Old 04-09-19, 05:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 687 Votes on 634 Posts
I'm a bit surprised you are asking questions like this and planning your cuts as if using a CNC machine. Make sure you are capable of making the cuts you are planning. I would describe your cutting plan as "advanced".

Old 04-09-19, 08:42 AM
R
Pilot Dane, I had home depot cut the two sheets of plywood into manageable sizes ( added 1" to all their cuts to leave room for error on their side) so that when I got home, other than a couple of skill saw cuts the rest could be cut on my table saw.

I'm new to finished woodwork hence the newb question, no CNC machine lol. I was planning my cuts because I didn't want to end up buying another sheet of $60 plywood.

Old 04-09-19, 10:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 687 Votes on 634 Posts
Smart thinking. And if HD screwed up the cuts they would do it over no charge.