Help refinishing cherry stair railing with lacquer

Old 04-28-19, 09:59 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Help refinishing cherry stair railing with lacquer

One of the caps on the posts of my stair railing needs refinishing. It recently came loose, as well, so that makes it easy to refinish in the garage, rather than on the stair railing (and in the house).

I stained and finished the stair railing originally (it's made from cherry wood). I used a wood stain (which I still have some of) and I used a spray lacquer (Deft).

Since the cap gets the most hand wear, one side of it has worn down to the point some of the color is faded.

What approach do you recommend I take for removing the old lacquer and then restoring the uniform color before applying a new finish?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-19, 11:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 665 Votes on 615 Posts
Get some stripper to remove the lacquer then sand it with fine sandpaper 120, 150, 180... then stain it. 9nce the stain has dried, give it several coats of finish. If you prefer using a spray can, poly will be more durable than lacquer because it is harder.

Old 04-28-19, 02:47 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Lacquer cab be applied over lacquer but a light scuff sanding (and removal of sanding dust) is required between coats of poly to ensure good adhesion.

Old 04-29-19, 02:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 314 Votes on 279 Posts
I second the recommendation to use poly! While lacquer can create a fine finish it doesn't wear near as good as poly does. Normally you can apply a thicker coat brushing versus a rattle can.

Old 05-11-19, 01:04 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips!

After more research, I decided to strip it with lacquer thinner (which worked surprisingly well!)

I then applied the original stain again and it looked great!
I had some of the lacquer spray still on hand, so I gave that a try and it turned out REALLY nice!

I went with the lacquer partly because I was hoping to match the rest of the finish of the stair railing.

I'm really impressed with how this little repair project turned out... it looks like new again and it matches the rest of the railing.

Old 05-11-19, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 665 Votes on 615 Posts
Lacquer is pretty forgiving, and easy to work with. Best part is that it dries fast so you can give it multiple coats in a short time. Glad it turned out well for you!