Applying beeswax to tool handles

Old 09-09-19, 04:16 AM
T
Received 30 Votes on 28 Posts
Applying beeswax to tool handles

I want to apply beeswax to a machete, axes, and other tool handles. I made the beeswax solution (3 parts linseed oil, 1 part beeswax) and would appreciate advice on how best to apply it. Should I apply it as a liquid (warm) or as a paste? What kind of applicator? How do I finish it? BTW, I've prepped the tool handles and applied a few coats of boiled linseed oil.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-19, 04:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 634 Votes on 586 Posts
I have always used linseed oil only. I put a heavy blob on a rag or pour some on the handle and rub it in leaving a heavy film on the surface. Then I set it aside to soak in and dry. I repeat the process every couple days until I get the finish and sealing I want. If adding beeswax to the mix I would slightly heat the solution so it's liquid then apply in the same manner. Keep in mind you should be applying this to bare wood. If there is already a sealing finish the linseed oil will not soak in.

Old 09-09-19, 04:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
When using boiled linseed oil it's usually beneficial to cut it in half with mineral spirits, it's hard for linseed oil to suck in full strength and it does a poor job of drying when used a surface coating.