Novice - Could use some advise on basic crown molding

Old 01-08-20, 04:56 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Novice - Could use some advise on basic crown molding

Hi Folks,

I have a small project for the wife involving crown molding in a few rooms. As far as tools, I have a 16 Gauge Finish Air Nailer that should work fine, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what I should use to measure and cut the corners? My miter saw is fried, so for this project, I'll need to either get a new saw, or find something that will just work for this basic job. I don't mind using a manual saw. I'm trying to not break the bank here. Last time I tried this, my measuring skill were terrible, and the corners came out really bad. I'd like to try an accomplish this by making real corners instead of getting the premade ones. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Rick

Old 01-08-20, 05:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Sounds like time to buy a new miter saw.

Old 01-08-20, 05:06 AM
D
Even if I do that, I still need to figure out how to get the corners right.

Old 01-08-20, 05:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Ya, the corners can be difficult. I have an old timey standard miter saw so you have to set the crown in upside down on an angle but even then it's not easy to get it right. I like to have extra crown so I can test my cuts first on some scrap. It's supposed to be easier with a compound miter saw but I've never used one. But I'm just a painter, those that do more carpenter work should be along shortly.

Old 01-08-20, 06:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I would suggest you watch a few youtube videos.

I cut crown on the miter saw nested in position... meaning you place it on the saw upside down. The fence is like the wall and the table is like the ceiling. The bottom edge of the crown (where you measure and mark) is always up... right on top where you can see it.

If you need to, you can make your own crown molding jig... a piece of 1/4" plywood with a 1x1 stop on it. It will ensure you always have the crown at the correct spring angle as you cut it. (Provided you keep it tight and parallel to the fence). This jig is just a "stop" that won't let the crown slip down... holding it at the same position every time.

You also need to install the crown at the same height on the wall as you cut it (distance from the ceiling) since changing that distance throws your angles all off. Forgetting to cut it upside down also throws the angles off.

Cutting it nested is far easier than cutting it flat. When you cut flat everything is a compound miter and you need miter and bevel tables (long lists of angles) and you have a lot of margin of error with decimals and such.

Cant say much more than that... a lot of it comes down to skill and experience. Not everyone can instantly be a good finish carpenter. Some just dont have the knack for it at all. But it doesn't mean you shouldn't try. A good miter saw is half of the job. There are also crown molding jigs you can buy if for some reason you think you need it.

Old 01-08-20, 07:09 AM
D
OK, thanks for the tips. I guess I'm going shopping for a new saw. I've viewed a ton of videos, and just like anything else, everyone seems to do it a little different. I do have a ton of scrap, so I'll do some practice runs.

Old 01-08-20, 08:33 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Best advise AFTER you get your saw and guides.

Play with it and them make small templates of an inside and outside corner marking them accordingly, LH, RH, ceiling, wall, inner, outer!

They will be your saving grace when you have that big expensive piece of wood on the saw and you want some assurance that you've got the wood sitting right and your making the correct cut!

Old 01-08-20, 09:06 AM
M
Received 294 Upvotes on 264 Posts
Remember that saw size is dependent on molding size
https://www.doityourself.com/stry/ho...t-trim-molding

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: