Annual Maintenance for Outdoor Teak Patio Set

Old 09-11-23, 09:24 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Annual Maintenance for Outdoor Teak Patio Set

I have a 2 year old outdoor Teak patio set that's slowly starting to weather (gray) as expected, The manufacturer recommends the full sanding, apply deep cleaner, oil application, etc. while some other website recommends (Outdoor Furniture Cleaning Method (ivenainternational.net) to use teak sealant. Is the sealant just to delay the weathering whereas the full sanding will simply restore to the original finish/color?

Old 09-12-23, 05:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
I don't sand teak unless absolutely necessary. Usually I use the Star Brite teak system with cleaner, whitener and oil. The oil is mostly Tung oil with some UV inhibitors.

Old 09-12-23, 06:24 AM
S
Looks like that restores the original color. What is the purpose and when should I remove the existing surface?

And, should the above product be applied annual?

Old 09-12-23, 07:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
"...should I remove the existing surface?"
What do you mean? Is there a varnish, poly or another coating you want to remove? Do you want to sand to remove wood?

The teak oil I show is an oil, not a finish or coating. It soaks into the wood and hardens. Over time it slowly wears away so there is no sanding needed. As it wears you just apply another coat of oil on top. The cleaning and bleaching only needs to be done when it's been left a while without maintenance and you want to get it looking more like new.

Old 09-12-23, 08:14 AM
S
I am trying to understand when sanding would be needed as recommended by the manufacturer in their recommended annual process. It sounds like the 3 step process in your kit will return the table to the golden brown color, correct?

Old 09-12-23, 09:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
A lot depends on what was done to your furniture. A poly finish can initially last longer but when it goes you need to strip or sand. Oil doesn't last as long but whenever you want you can put on another coat of oil to freshen it up.

Old 09-12-23, 09:05 AM
S
I have some weathering but I hope to just go the kit route which is appears less effort.

Old 06-09-24, 09:50 AM
S
I put this off as long as I can but I noticed a superglue stain which I believe is the brighter wet/red color.

I think I need to address this before I start the restoration. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: