Absolute beginners advice on how to refinish mahogany sideboard

Old 04-03-24, 06:14 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Absolute beginners advice on how to refinish mahogany sideboard

Hi,

I got this secondhand mahogany sideboard and would like to refinish it. I'm not really sure where to start. Do I just sand it all down and then re-varnish it? I'm happy to go and do my research on how to tackle the process, but wondered if there is anything specific I need to be aware of before I start.

Old 04-03-24, 06:44 AM
W
Received 35 Upvotes on 29 Posts
If that sideboard is an antique I would either leave it alone or have it professionally restored.

If you decide to DIY it don't start sanding until you are positive that none of the wood is a veneer.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 04-03-24, 07:02 AM
Received 398 Upvotes on 347 Posts
leave it alone or have it professionally restored
I absolutely agree and second that opinion. That looks like veneer which is very a very thin wood overlay and will be destroyed very quickly by and sanding.

The best DIY would be light cleaning with a damp cloth. If there are areas that need repair or refinishing (NOT recommended), leave it to the professionals. Otherwise accept any flaws as characteristics of a well used and cherished antique.

Adjusting doors or drawers that bind or rub and are pulling or chipping the veneer should be considered to prevent further damage.

Old 04-03-24, 07:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,311 Upvotes on 2,056 Posts
I can almost guarantee that that furniture is veneered so any sanding or stripping needs to be done very carefully. Often, if it was stained you have to sand almost completely through the veneer to remove the stain. And if stripping is done incorrectly the chemicals will attack the glue holding the veneer in place. Both options can easily ruin the piece. Refinishing furniture is quite expensive. You might find that having it refinished or even paying someone to just strip it may be far more expensive than what you paid for it.

I would strongly consider just leaving it as is. Consider the bumps and scratches "patina". A mark of a antique.

Old 04-03-24, 07:38 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you all. Really useful comments. I think I will just clean it, give it some TLC and maybe clean and fix the handles. I paid 60 for it ($75) so it's not worth getting it professionally refinished. I'm not sure how old it is, I will see if I can find any marks on it when I get home!

Old 04-03-24, 07:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,974 Upvotes on 1,770 Posts
There's also a pretty high chance from the age and appearance that you have a wax finish -shellac, (not a varnish) and if so it can be polished (French polishing).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: