Reinforce Truss in Garage

Old 02-17-16, 01:43 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reinforce Truss in Garage

I want to add a ceiling in my garage , sheetrock and insulation , using the truss as the ceiling , but I was told the truss needed to be reinforced in order to support the weight of the sheetrock . Heres some pictures ,

I'd like to try and do this myself , save some money . Thanks !

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-16, 01:48 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Those are not manufactured trusses and it looks like 2x6 on the bottom. But they are too far apart for drywall. What is the width of the garage and distance that will be spanned, wall to wall or other supporting walls inbetween?

Bud

Old 02-17-16, 02:59 PM
S
Heres another picture to see the left side of the room .

The room is 13 feet 8 inches Wide , 19 feet 8 inches Long

Theres 4 trusses ,

from the left wall to the right wall

1 truss = 10 inches
2 truss = 2 feet , 10 inches
3 truss = 6 feet , 11 inches
4 truss = 10 feet , 10 inches

Attached Images  
Old 02-17-16, 04:47 PM
B
If you install an additional joist across the 13' span giving you 2' on center spacing, approximately, then the only decision is 2x what? 2x6, 2x8, 2x10? If it will just be holding up drywall the 2x6 will probably hold, but I would be careful walking up there and definitely not use it for storage.

Others here are better at loads and span requirements so perhaps they will comment. If you go up greater than 2x6 then the tops will be above the existing 2x6's (if that is what they are). Some extra work, but still can be done.

What will be going above the joists (attic floor)?

Bud

Old 02-17-16, 09:08 PM
S
Thanks ,

Nothing is going above , just want to hang drywall underneath as a ceiling for the garage below . Someone might have to crawl up there in the future to access repairs for the roof or something , so that would be it as far as weight load .

Old 02-18-16, 05:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 665 Votes on 615 Posts
Your home made "trusses" are on every other rafter. As Bud said, that is too far apart for drywall. They need to be on every rafter. I would say that you need to build another truss in each space where there currently is none. Looks to me like that would be 3 trusses. Then you would be ready to drywall.

You should probably also install some more lateral bracing across those trusses. 2x4 running horizontally to keep them perfectly straight and spaced exactly on a 24" oc layout. For all we know they could be bowed since there isn't much bracing on them.

Old 02-18-16, 10:38 AM
S
Ok , got it .

Thanks for the advice . Now I know what to do .

Old 02-18-16, 11:13 AM
B
To slide a new joist into an existing wall, lay it flat and use what angle you have then stand it up. With 4' you should have little difficulty and be able to keep the new joists close to full length.

I like to leave a couple of 2x6 runs from end to end, in addition to the one I see, so any future ventures up there will have less effect on the drywall below. Then, as X said, use those to maintain your spacing. When that drywall goes up you want the ends to fall centered on a joist.

Bud