Shed over pool equipment

Old 02-29-16, 03:23 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shed over pool equipment

My pool equipment is all out in the open and I want to put a wood shed over it. I am looking at a 8' x 12' Wood shed with a wood floor. I was thinking that I don't want to put it on skids. I would like to set the floor on the ground. I was thinking of digging out around the equipment pad about 3" deep to the size of the floor. Fill and level with pea gravel and put the floor directly on the gravel. I would use pressure treated 2x4's for the floor joists. I would also need to build the floor around the pool equipment leaving the floor open because all of the equipment is already mounted and working and I don't want to remove any of it. I would have drain pipes running out under the shed to divert unwanted water, back flush, etc. Also it think the gravel will aid in runoff in the shed if any water were to leak inside. This would bring the floor closest to the pad level without having to do major excavation. I think this would also keep the vermin from borrowing under the shed. I really don't want to concrete in a larger pad.

Do you think this would work well?

skeeter

Old 02-29-16, 11:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
It should work well. What are you going to do.... buy a shed with no floor ?

I built my own equipment shed. I put a row of solid block around my equipment and built off of that. It's not too big..... 6' wide by 8' deep and maybe 4' high. I actually built the roof on hinges to open it when it got hot but it became a nuisance so I removed the back of the shed and put screen on it.

Old 03-01-16, 02:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm also confused, if you buy a prebuilt shed with a floor how does that accommodate the pool equipment? I'd do like Pete and erect my own shed over a masonry foundation - it shouldn't cost any more.

Old 03-01-16, 07:31 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
A few simple rules, any wood siding needs to be at least 6" above grade.
Pressure treated 2 X 4's are not direct ground rated and will rot out.

Old 03-01-16, 07:59 AM
S
The shed is not prebuilt, it just has all the wood precut and requires assembly. Modification of the floor would not be difficult. I was thinking of building the wood floor with basically a cutout in the center that the pool equipment would sticking up out of. I would like to have a floor so that it would be comfortable to kneel down on when working with the equipment. Tired of rocks and crap poking my knees. The current equipment pad is about 3' x 6'. If I was going to lay out a brick foundation I might as well extend the concrete from the pad all the way out. I am trying to avoid that.

I was actually having a problem finding treated 2x4's and was considering 2x6's. Are 2x6's rated for direct ground contact? Why does the siding have to be 6" above grade?

skeeter

Old 03-01-16, 12:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Most 1x and 2x PT lumber is not rated for ground contact while 4x4s and 6x6s are. You can get 2xs rate for ground contact but not everyone has them - they do come at an increased price. Keeping the siding [or any wood] 6" or more above grade helps prevent rot from water splashing up or wicking up from grass/weeds.

Old 03-01-16, 04:21 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I know not what you want or had in mind but I'll give you a plan B. Given the wet conditions I'd use a concrete slab not a wood floor. I would even consider setting galvanized steel fence posts instead of traditional 2x4 stud walls. You can run treated 2x4s horizontally on the posts and use sheets of cement board siding. I know some places use an underlayment sheathing under cement board but they don't here and it seems to work okay. If you use underpayment such as OSB start with a row of treated 1x6 (horizontal) at the bottom then your 5/8" particle board.

Old 03-01-16, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
When I built my shed over the pool equipment.... I used pressure treated lumber on top of the cement blocks. I wasn't really all that worried about rotting. That was 35 years ago and it's still in good shape. The walls are made of 2x4's on 16" spacing. Then I used 5/8" sheathing and wood shakes. Every few years I repaint them.

Inside the shed is crushed rock for the floor. I wanted to be able to pick up the stone if I needed to dig for a repair. I also have crushed rock on the outside of the shed.

Old 03-01-16, 08:40 PM
S
What is the difference between pressure treated lumber rated for ground contact and those not rated for ground contact.

Old 03-02-16, 03:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I believe it is the amount of chemicals injected into the wood. It's cheaper to lightly treat wood than a deep treatment so they don't go the extra on wood not expected to have ground contact.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: