Unsupported Breezeway

Old 05-16-16, 09:52 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unsupported Breezeway

Hello all,

The previous owner of my home recently built a garage and breezeway before I bought the home. The home has a full foundation, and the garage is essentially on a concrete slab, but there are no supports under the breezeway. I recently (without thinking) installed tile flooring in the breezeway, and then started thinking about the weight of the floor / walls / roof on the structure. The breezeway is 13' x 7' with the 7' side being the distance between the garage and the house. The floor joists are 16" apart, and connected via joist hangers. I have to look a bit more, but it's not obvious to me at this point what the hangers are actually connected to on the garage size (being as there's no floor joists on the foundation, just walls sitting on the concrete).

Should I be worried about this breezeway, as there are no posts supporting it from the bottom? Is it even legal to install a structure this way that is not supported with posts from the bottom?

Thank you for your insight.

Old 05-16-16, 10:15 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Can you provide pictures of what you are describing? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Old 05-16-16, 12:48 PM
C
Yes, I should be able to provide pictures. I will try to do that tonight.
Thank you.

Old 05-16-16, 04:16 PM
C
I'm not sure if I can upload more than one picture at a time. Here is a picture of the front of the breezeway.

Name:  FrontBreezeway.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  43.9 KB

When I attempt to upload additional pictures it says simply "Upload of file failed."

I will attempt to explain in text what the arrangement is and then I will upload pictures as I can.
If you look at the picture, the breezeway was essentially constructed like a deck with a ledger board on both the house and the garage side. Joist hangers affix the joists to the ledger boards. Most of the spaces between joists have 2 x 1/2" lag screws holding the ledger board.

On the house side the ledger board is fixed to a rim joist (my terminology may be lacking here). However, on the garage side there isn't any floor at that level -- the floor is the concrete slab, so the ledger board is sort of attached to the sill and the wall / siding. The inside of the garage is unfinished and in some of the spaces between wall studs I can see a bunch of nails protruding through the siding where the ledger board was nailed to the side of the garage. I haven't been able to see where the lag screws go -- but I'm assuming they are going into the sill or the bottom plate of the wall.

As I said I took pictures showing most of this so I'll try to post more pictures. The floor was insulated (with pink insulation -- I'm not crazy about that) and a foam board was nailed up to seal in the insulation. I took down the foam board to check these connections.

Old 05-16-16, 04:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
It's really going to depend on how thick the subflooring is in that breezeway. For such a short distance and since it is held with joist hangers, you should be just fine. I would get a finish on that wood asap, as it doesn't appear to be pressure treated, and even if it is, it is overdue for a finish. You can insulate under the breezeway to keep it temperate, too.

Old 05-16-16, 04:33 PM
C
Name:  BetweenJoists.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  17.9 KB
Most of the spaces between joists have lag scrws in them. As I said I'm not positive where they are going on the garage side, but I don't see any protruding through the siding.

Name:  NailedSection.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  28.1 KB
Some of the spaces between joists are simply nailed. I can't upload the inside of the garage at the moment, but you can see some of the nails sticking through the siding where he missed the bottom plate or the wall studs.

Old 05-16-16, 04:37 PM
C
Name:  InsideGarage2.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  26.4 KB

OK, i figured out that my pictures were too large to be uploaded. This is a bad picture, but it shows the inside of the garage where nails holding the ledger on are coming through the siding.

Attached Images  
Old 05-16-16, 04:43 PM
C
Chandler,

the sub flooring in the breezeway is 1/2", but it has floor leveler on it and tile (5 lbs each 12 x 12 tile). The wood that looks bad on the end is the only one that doesn't look healthy, the boards under the breezeway look good -- but are not PT. And it's actually insulated already. I had to take the foam board off to look up underneath it. There is pink insulation in there -- I've heard it's not the best for that kind of an outdoor application, but it seems fresh.

Old 05-16-16, 06:24 PM
If the band board/ledger is only held with an occasional hit to a stud and other hits in plywood, it would be in your best interests to find studs along its length and install lag bolts into the studs. Now, it may be the nails in the plywood were temporary until they secured it with lags, as you can't account for where they go, hopefully they go into the studs.

Hopefully you will get longer life from your subflooring and tile, but the subflooring is woefully too thin for tile application. Let time tell, and you may be replacing it. If so, install 3/4" Advantech on top of your existing subflooring, then cbu and tile.

Old 05-17-16, 02:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 670 Votes on 593 Posts
I would get a finish on that wood asap
Prior to applying the finish the wood needs to be cleaned first. A bleach/water solution [40-50% bleach] should clean it up nicely. Paint would require a primer, I'd use a deck stain - no primer needed and less prep when it comes time to recoat.

Old 05-17-16, 01:17 PM
C
Thank you all very much for your answers and thoughtful comments. To my main concern however, it seems the general consensus is that the breezeway is structurally sound even though we recently added approximately 1000 lbs to the weight of the floor?

Old 05-17-16, 03:17 PM
I see no problem with the breezeway's stability. The subflooring may or may not cause the tile to crack since it is inadequate, but it ain't falling down

Old 05-18-16, 05:52 AM
C
Chandler,

Thank you very much for the assessment. I did go on the garage side and checked for lag screws coming through the siding and didn't see any. I then put some screws into the ledger next to the lag screws and saw that each time my screws came through the garage siding next to a stud -- so it looks like all the lag screws are in studs.

I guess I only have myself to blame if the tile ends up cracking. If that happens I'll chock it up to my own incompetence.

Thanks again.

Old 05-18-16, 02:16 PM
You learn from your mistakes or you are destined to repeat them. I don't think you will repeat it. Good luck and enjoy the breezeway

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: