cracks in garage ceiling drywall along sheetrock seams

Old 06-12-16, 08:07 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cracks in garage ceiling drywall along sheetrock seams

Greetings,

I have two hairline cracks that run from the garage door to the back wall, in the middle of the garage ceiling. I check for water damage in the attic, but nothing. What else could be causing this?
My garage door is rickety and jolts on it's way up and down. Could this cause the two cracks? Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-16, 02:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Depending on how the garage was built, structural settling can cause cracks in walls and ceilings. The garage door, if not a smooth operator, can exacerbate the problem. You can always post pictures of the problem as well as pictures of the framing above. Also, if you use the attic for storage, the weight could be causing problems. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 06-13-16, 03:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 282 Posts
Since the garage isn't likely to be heated/cooled the temperature extremes might also be a cause.
Have you got on a ladder and pressed up on the drywall to make sure it's secured well?

Old 06-13-16, 04:44 PM
S
pictures

Name:  garage ceiling1.jpg
Views: 5509
Size:  26.1 KBName:  garage ceiling2.jpg
Views: 8145
Size:  27.6 KB

Attached are two pictures. One is of the ceiling crack, the other is in the attic showing the sheetrock seam. It's supported well and there's no weight directly on the crack area as you can see. The area of the attic that has boxes has a slight crack, but it's not as visible as the one that has no weight on it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 06-13-16, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 670 Votes on 620 Posts
The high humidity probably just got the best of the tape. The area would need to be scraped down... remove as much old tape as you can. I would suggest using setting compound when you tape it over again..

Old 06-14-16, 04:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree. Unpainted popcorn texture is bad to attract moisture and will often fail over time. I'd take this opportunity to scrape off all the texture, repair the drywall as needed, prime and paint. If you don't want to remove the popcorn - don't paint! The weight and wetness of latex primer/paint will cause a lot of the texture to fall off You should be able to blend in new texture to hide where you've retaped the ceiling.

Old 06-15-16, 09:57 AM
S
thanks for the replies. I'm very new to DIY projects. Any videos you recommend on how to remove the tape and replace texture? I don't think i'll remove the entire popcorn texture since that would be too much work. I just want to make sure it's structurally sound and then fix the appearance. I didn't know there was tape in between the sheetrocks.

Old 06-15-16, 10:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
For the most part the tape/texture doesn't affect the structural integrity of the ceiling. Nails/screws hold the drywall in place and a coat of mud over them helps insure that they won't back out. After you remove the loose tape, retape and apply a couple coats or so of mud to smooth it out you can use an aerosol can of popcorn texture to blend it back in. I'm sure there are plenty of videos out there that cover it but I don't know of any - google should bring you plenty.