Binding Garage Door Torsion Spring

Old 07-09-16, 09:09 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Binding Garage Door Torsion Spring

I have a chain drive torsion spring overhead garage door. It used to be that when I opened the door it would go up about a foot, shudder, make a snapping noise and then continue on its way. Now it goes up one foot but it often just stops--it can't power through the resistance it encounters at that point. Once you pass the pinch point the door works fine.

I disconnected the door from the drive mechanism and the same thing happens, so it's not the drive mechanism. I discovered that when I hear the snapping noise the torsion spring shudders and shakes. I'm wondering if the spring is compressed so the coils rub against one another, bind, and then let go causing the shudder and shake. This spring is not painted and it's on the rusty side, which I think would make the coils more likely to bind/stick.

We have two other identical garage doors/openers. When I look at them in the door down position the springs hang down somewhat. On the door with the problem the spring actually arcs upward for part of its length, like the cones are too close together.

Is there any reason I shouldn't move the cones apart a little bit? I know I need to get an 18" length of 1/2" round steel rod to hold onto the cone when I do this. Is there something else that might be causing this problem? I was thinking of just using spray lube but the other two doors work just fine and their springs are equally rusty. So it doesn't seem that lube is essential.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-16, 04:36 AM
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
It sounds like your spring is binding and needs to be stretched a bit. I don't recommend you do it your self... torsion springs are dangerous if you don't know what your doing. Try lubing the spring, put a light coat of oil on it. They all should have oil on them. Post a picture if you can

Old 07-10-16, 07:11 AM
B
What type of oil do you recommend for this? Just dribble it on or take a small paint brush and spread it all around the spring? The springs are about 8-9 years old and have never been lubed. I'll see if I can get a decent photo to post.

Old 07-10-16, 10:19 AM
B
I took some 5W30 motor oil and spread it on the right hand side of the spring, which is where the shake/shudder was occurring. After operating the door about ten times there is just a small shake/shudder remaining. I think with further operation that will continue to diminish.

I will buy some kind of spray oil and lube all the springs. If that completely quiets things down I probably won't bother adjusting the cone.

I took two photos but could not attach them.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion on this.

Old 07-10-16, 02:16 PM
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
any kind of oil except used... you can brush it on... get all the coils, you really don't have to do the ends of the spring where the cones are.