Wooden Carport Gate wide gap.....

Old 07-22-16, 01:21 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wooden Carport Gate wide gap.....

So I am constructing this carport for my mother.... and I ordered a wooden gate (teakwood) from Indonesia for her, as soon as the contractor unpackaged it, we noticed four major gaps.... and they're quite wide.

So now the question remains, can these (fairly) wide gaps be closed with woodfiller? I don't want it to crumble off in due time.

Any tips?Name:  13844249_10154332624937418_608834950_o.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  17.1 KB

Attached Images    
Old 07-22-16, 02:14 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It appears the panels were assembled while the lumber wasn't fully dry, and then when it dried further they shrank, causing the splits and gaps.

The gaps between boards could possibly be caulked with a high quality exterior caulk. The widest looks like one of the boards split. That one looks too wide to do anything but remove and repair the split, then perhaps add a thin extra piece of teak to fill in the gap.

Hard to tell from the pictures, but the method of construction doesn't look it allows for cross grain wood movement. If that's the case, you are likely to see more gaps or cracks when hot and dry.

Do you have any recourse with the supplier? I'd be trying to get a new one or some or all of my money back.

Old 07-22-16, 03:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
he method of construction doesn't look it allows for cross grain wood movement. If that's the case, you are likely to see more gaps or cracks when hot and dry.
Good point! Are they tongue and groove boards? I try to limit the use of filler on the exterior with caulking being the preferred filler [for cracks/joints] If the wood can expand/contract - fillers usually fail.

What are your finishing plans for the gate?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: