Is it possible to build a garage attached here?

Old 08-18-16, 07:53 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to build a garage attached here?

Hi all,
I am looking into buying a house but its got no garage and I would want to add one but have some concerns. Does anyone know what it would cost? (I am guessing around $10,000 CAD)
Also, the area where I would like to have the garage there is a power line (left top of image) that goes to the backyard on some pole where other homes are connected so I dont know if this is something that can be moved so the garage and be placed there?

Name:  GetMedia.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  39.3 KB

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-16, 08:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Usually you aren't allowed to build under a power line. You might want to verify that with the POCO.
A builder should be able to give you a rough estimate over the phone on the cost to build the garage providing you give him a good description of both the terrain and what you want done.

Old 08-18-16, 08:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Can it be done? Unless there's a code which would stop it, yes, it can be done. Cost? Not enough info but I seriously doubt $10 K Canadian would get you much more than a shed.

Old 08-18-16, 09:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 588 Posts
Where are you located? How big is your lot? How close is that side of the house to your property line?

Generally anything is possible with enough money. Your power service entrance can be relocated but that alone could be $1-2k. Then you've got a fair hill on that side of the house so there would be a good bit of excavating before construction could begin. That could add another $1-2k depending on your site. I'd say $10k CAD is not a possibility unless you modify your plans but I'd be guessing closer to $30k as a very wild guess. But not knowing what you intend to build it's impossible to say.

Old 08-19-16, 11:13 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone.
Lot is 60x140 feet
Yeah looking into it more its going to be a bit pricey. Not really worth it for the price/area.

Thanks again!