Garage Door Fix

Old 08-22-16, 09:01 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Fix

I installed a Genie garage door about a year or two ago. Everything is working fine. However, I bought a new minivan. When the back gate lifts, it bumps into the bottom of the garage door. I tried adjusting the door by "choking up" on where the arm of the door connects to the arm of the belt drive. however, that did not work as the door would not close all of the way to the bottom.

I found a different solution... I noticed that were the actual opener can move back about 6"-8" by moving where the door opener attaches to the ceiling. This poses one question: how do I adjust the belt drive to accommodate the extra 6"-8"?

has anyone tried this before? Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

thanks,
Frank

Old 08-22-16, 09:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 742 Votes on 683 Posts
Do you have a Genie brand garage door or opener?

If I understand correctly it sounds like you need a track extension. The extension is added to the garage door opener track. This moves the power head further from the door and allows it to have greater travel and is often used with taller doors.

Old 08-22-16, 01:08 PM
P
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I had a similar problem and just used a swim noodle to cushion the garage door where the van door hits it. I was lucky that there was a horizontal brace across the bottom of the door. I split the noodle but you can use plumbing insulation as well, and attached it to the door. Then when the can door opened up, it just bumped against the soft foam. I know some newer cars with automatic lift gates may have a memory setting to limit the opening height.

- Peter

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: