Replacing Craftsman 18 year old door opener

Old 09-01-16, 04:50 AM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Replacing Craftsman 18 year old door opener

My garage door openers were installed by me 18 years or so. Iput new gears in it 10 years ago,MY 18 foot garage door. Is getting really noisey .use it everyday.I thought about craftsman again.......... bu........t recently had a hard time returning a soldering iron i had ordered.Sears isn't what they used to be in service. dept. Can you reccomend Good opener. How about the quieter belt drive type?pros and cons if you have a belt drive.Chain drive- is still on the table. please throw me out some ideas !Its much appreciated. bob s

Old 09-01-16, 02:35 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sears openers are usually made by others as a private label (Chamberlin, Lift master, Genie, etc.)

Check the big box stores in your area for sales. Belt drives are quieter than chain. Personally I have a screw drive - not as quiet as when new but still running at the 20 year mark.

Old 09-02-16, 04:36 AM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
thanks goldstar that helps bob s

Old 09-13-16, 03:51 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi bsa_bob2

goldstar is right in that Sears sells garage door openers from different manufacturers. LiftMaster is still the top garage door opener manufacturer. Recently they've been promoting their MyQ technology that allows you to operate your door form a downloadable app on your mobile phone. You can be anywhere in the world and you can operate your door. You must have WiFi/internet to do so, however. Nonetheless it is a great feature to have.

Your current motor has lasted a long time and the noise can come from multiple places, but as the motor gets older, the motor itself and the gears will wear down. If you plan on living in this house for a long time, I suggest a belt drive opener. Much quieter and as a premium model, ListMaster uses a slow start/stop mechanism that helps prolong the life of the motor by reducing the fast jolting and jerking when it opens or closes.

Best!

Old 09-28-16, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would recommend the Chamberlain model WD832KEV. It's belt driven and very quiet. This opener utilizes a motor vibration isolation system (MVIS) to reduce noise. It uses a long ribbon to pull the garage door back and forth which makes it silent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: