Adding doorway to existing shed

Old 09-26-16, 04:21 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding doorway to existing shed

Hello everyone, I have a shed that was built onto my existing garage. The entrance to the shed is on the side of the building.

Picture of the front, outside and inside
Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 2456
Size:  40.4 KBName:  front inside.jpg
Views: 2272
Size:  33.5 KB

2x6 running to outside wall
Name:  side.jpg
Views: 1992
Size:  29.9 KB

The 2x6s for the roof run from the garage to the side wall where it is supported. On the front and back of the shed are walls enclosing it. What I would like to do is cut a 6' wide opening in the front and add doors to it. It doesn't appear that those walls are load bearing in any way, so it shouldn't hurt.

Opinions?

Old 09-27-16, 07:59 AM
J
Received 88 Votes on 81 Posts
What do you consider "the front"?
The wall in the first picture?
Still going to need a header for several reasons, to have something to nail the trim and siding to, something to stop the cripples from moving.
What I've done a few times is do all the framing on the inside for the opening and then cut out the siding after.
Simple as drilling two holes in the top corners with a 3/4" paddle bit and cutting across the top first then the two sides with a sawsall held at a slight angle so no plywood sticks out beyond the jack studs.
That cuts going to get covered up with the jambs and outside trim.

Old 09-27-16, 02:05 PM
X
The front would be the side with the windows. My idea was to do exactly as you said. I'm going to pick two existing wall studs inside and double them up, remove the unnecessary studs in between, then put in a header about where the top of the window is now. After that is all done, i'm going to cut out the opening.

Old 09-28-16, 08:03 AM
J
Received 88 Votes on 81 Posts
Leave the studs in place, snap a chalk line where the top of the header will fall across all the studs.
Make a cut with a ciruler saw set at max depth, and finish with a sawsall.
That way the cripples will already be in place.

Old 10-01-16, 08:01 AM
X
I finished is all up the other day, very happy with the outcome, just need to come up with an idea for doors.

next question is, there is a wall between my garage and this shed addition. The wall is load bearing and supports both the garage roof and some of the shed roof. There is two windows on this wall. If I were to cut the area out just below the window to make a door would it have any negative effect on the structure?

The windows have new block lentils above them and from what I see the block below the the window support no weight, and the lentil above distributes the weight to the sides.

Old 10-01-16, 08:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
If you don't increase the width of the opening you can put a door where the window is. Block walls just make it a little more challenging to make it look nice when you remove the wall below the window.

Old 10-01-16, 10:21 AM
X
Thats what I figured. I'm just planning on cutting a doorway but not put a door in, just want to be able to walk from the garage into the shed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: