Replacing Header bracket

Old 10-02-16, 05:33 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Header bracket

I am replacing a broken Genie Screwdrive garage door opener. I have a new Chamberlain belt-drive system.

First problem I notices is that the header bracket has to be changed since the connection to the rail for the trolley is different.

What do i do here? If I pull the old bracket out, well, previous wood screws leave unusable holes. If I then position the new header bracket to the left or right, I might not have good alignment. I don't have an overhead option in this garage.

Do I simply pull the old bracket, find a good size piece of 2"x8" and secure that over the previous location? And then install the new header bracket onto this 2"x8"?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-02-16, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,585 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Raise it up an inch. Post pictures if you can.

Old 10-02-16, 05:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Did not the new Chamberlain system come with rails and header?? I would use the one that is made for the system you have rather than trying to make do with the old one.

Old 10-02-16, 07:46 PM
Yes, you can tack on a 2x8.
This is common when installing a new garage opener and allows you to place the bracket in the same location, up, or down.
Use 16d nails to attach the block to the header.

Old 10-03-16, 01:54 PM
D
Thanks for the information. 2"x8" piece that is maybe a foot long attached to the header with 16 penny nails it is!!

Cheers!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: