Ridge board splicing shed

Old 11-24-16, 09:26 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ridge board splicing shed

Hi,

Trying to figure the easiest way to splice 1 x 8 for a shed ridge board (18 foot total length). It's just a nailing structure, not structural.

I was thinking of just butting the ends together and screwing a piece of plywood across the two adjoining ends. The joint would be between two rafters. I think I would need a 2 x 4 for temporary support somewhere midway along the ridge (from floor straight up to ridge) until I start getting rafters nailed on to hold it in place. Does this sound reasonable?

Also, as I'm building the remaining shed walls the floor is starting to fill with temporary wall braces. Can I just screw a temporary block on the sheathing in line with a stud and attach one end of the wall braces to this and other end to a stake in the ground?

Thank you for any help.

Old 11-25-16, 03:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Non site built sheds have used plywood for the ridge, but I don't recommend it for stick built. I would use two 12' or 10' 2x8's for the ridge. This will allow for them to meet in the middle at a rafter and overhang for attachment of your decking lookout. I would allow at least 12" for an overhang on the rafter ends.

Old 11-25-16, 08:55 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response - there's no overhang on either end of the ridge on this shed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: