Custom Carriage Style Garage Doors

Old 01-08-17, 11:06 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Custom Carriage Style Garage Doors

In our first house I built our arched top carriage doors and had them installed by a professional door man. We are building a new house this Spring and I would like to do the same thing. However these new doors will have a much greater curve to the top. Is it possible to have a 36" top section so I can have the section break where it goes from curve to vertical? Or will this require special radius track that is greater than 15"? If so what is the maximum top section I can have with standard track? Headroom in the garage can be adjusted if needed since we haven't started yet. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-10-17, 03:28 AM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
You might be able to find someone to custom build a 3 foot top section. How tall will the entire door be. Clopay makes a 32inch radius track, look into clopay canyon ridge or reserve wood collection.

Old 01-10-17, 04:47 AM
E
I'm building the doors so making the custom sections isn't a problem it's more what is the limitations on section sizes for standard track. The doors are 9' wide and 8' tall. I would like to do a 3' top section and two 2'-6" sections.

Old 01-10-17, 03:14 PM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
It will probably work better with a large radius track, trying to cram a 3 foot section through a 15" or even 20" radius would run poorly. Keep in mind with such a large radius track creates problems with the opener. With an 8 foot door you will likely need a 10 foot opener with a really long opener arm. with this configuration the opener will try to pull the door back into the garage before the door starts moving upward. (I hope I have explained this so it is understandable) thus putting a lot of stress on the top section when the door is opening. Or you can install Liftmaster 8500 or 3900 jackshaft style openers. With this style opener you will need to have an outlet along side of the door and there is a lot of extra wires for the cable tension monitor, lock, photo eyes, pushbutton all going to the opener. The light will still need an outlet in the ceiling and is operated remotely. My advice is contact a clopay dealer or other that deals with custom wood doors and order track springs and hardware for the weight of your sectionsAttachment 75615

Old 01-10-17, 05:57 PM
E
Thank very much for your insight. I will look into what you suggested.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: