Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Garages, Garage Door Openers, Work Shops & Sheds, Breezeways and Carports
Reload this Page >

Anchoring down a resin shed to concrete slab (that has a layer of tile on top)

Anchoring down a resin shed to concrete slab (that has a layer of tile on top)

Old 01-27-17, 07:18 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Anchoring down a resin shed to concrete slab (that has a layer of tile on top)

Hi everyone, I have a concrete slab in the backyard which the previous owner had a shed installed. The concrete slab has tiles within the area that would make up the inside of that once installed shed.
The shed I am thinking about purchasing already has a floor:
Suncast Sutton 7 ft. 3 in. x 7 ft. 4.5 in. Resin Storage Shed-BMS7791 - The Home Depot

The shed fits within the space of the tile so I'll have to drill my anchors through the tile and concrete. I've looked up videos on how to go about anchoring to concrete. My only concern is when I drill through the tile I don't want it to just split and crack the entire tile, if anything just for cosmetic purposes since I doubt it affects stability. If using the anchoring techniques for concrete, would that be OK to perform on the tile or do I need a diamond tip bit for a clean drill on the tile and then continue with a concrete bit?

Thanks!

Old 01-27-17, 07:55 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Tile is a rather unusual floor for a shed!

I think the safest approach would be to drill a slightly oversize hole through the tile, using appropriate bit for the whatever type of tile it is, and then drill the proper hole into concrete for the fastener you choose. I would want the clearance hole in the tile to be about 1/8" oversize. You won't be able to avoid drilling a little into the concrete while drilling the clearance hole, but that won't be an issue.

Old 01-27-17, 08:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Check with your local codes to see if that shed is Miami Dade appoved. Florida and especially Dade County are very strict about out buildings. They demand a very sturdy construction to make sure pieces don't fly off during a hurricane. They are also demanding about how sheds, fences and other things are anchored to prevent them from blowing away.

Old 01-27-17, 08:26 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Since the storage shed has a floor and will cover the tile it wont make a difference if the tile cracks.

Chances are you can just used a carbide drill bit and it will go right through. if you really want to minimize the chance a small diamond hole saw will do the job but they are a bit pricey for just a single job.

Old 01-27-17, 09:19 AM
C
Thanks everyone for the advise.

So definitely if I use a concrete bit it would shatter the tile? As for the type of tile, I wish I knew my tile types but it seems like a "regular everyday tile" <- for what it's worth

Regarding the codes for Miami-Dade, heck I assume if it's sold here in Miami at a major retailer that it would be approved by the city, especially if it's anchored to concrete. I think the wind rating is 65mh, which is nothing for a major hurricane and you can't expect much to stay put at anything higher than those speeds. I will definitely double check though.

Old 01-28-17, 07:27 PM
C
Question

so i'll be getting my shed delivered next week and hopefully get it installed over next weekend.

regarding anchor types, looking at some at home depot and thinking about using these 5/8 6" wedge anchors Red Head 5/8 in. x 6 in. Zinc-Plated Steel Hex Nut Head Solid Concrete Wedge Anchors (10-Pack)-02041 - The Home Depot

Now the only thing holding the shed down would be the washer, I feel like that it's just mickey mouse anchoring. Should I buy a wider washer so it covers more surface area of the shed floor? I was even thinking of using a 2" 2x4 in between the washer and floor:

washer
2" 2x4
shed floor
concrete slab

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 01-31-17, 08:06 PM
C
Anyone, please? Want to get the hardware and whatever else I need to get this shed assembled. Thanks!

Old 01-31-17, 11:37 PM
S
Those anchors are designed for wood to concrete connection so using the 2x4 should be fine. You do not need a larger washer unless you stick with only the resin shed floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: