Epoxy Floor Kit

Old 02-13-17, 01:14 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Epoxy Floor Kit

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask. So moderators, feel free to move it if there's a better spot.

I'm looking for an epoxy floor kit for my garage floor. I don't see much in the way of reviews online, so I was hoping someone would have personal experience using one.

Here's what I'm leaning towards so far. But any recommendations on brands would be appreciated.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Epoxy-Coat-...-fl-oz/3547124

Old 02-13-17, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I have used Rustoleum Sierra commercial water based floor epoxy and it is holding up well under commercial traffic.
What would make any concrete paint job successful would be how you prepare the floor.
If you have a garage floor that is somewhat aged you would have to work hard to clean and remove any greasy or oily stains.

I don't think you want to use black because if this is a previously driven on floor you will likely have a few trouble spots.
A grey that matches the floor would require less frequent touch ups.

Old 02-13-17, 02:56 PM
R
The garage is about 30 years old. There are fairly heavy oil stains from the previous owner. I plan to scrub it with a degreaser. And either buy or rent a pressure sprayer if that will help.

Why would black give me more trouble than gray?

Thanks

Old 02-13-17, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Because you will get chips, scratches and possibly a few areas where the new finish may not stick very well.
If you can match the floor color to the color of the concrete you won't have to touch it up it will still look good as it looses paint.
I know a black floor would look good but you could get a pile of hurt if you go that way.

The most recent thing I did with floor epoxy was to repaint a small area where regular floor enamel would not stick in a commercial kitchen due to grease.
I used a concrete grinder and took off a thin layer of concrete and the epoxy finish that was put on it is still in good shape after two years.
There are some marks but they are invisible due to paint color choice.

I will also add that I looked at the paint link and I would take the coverage figure with a grain of salt.
I am not sure how big your garage is but a conservative estimate would be to have at least 50% more than they say it will cover on hand.

We have some pro painters here who could probably add to what I suggest.

Old 02-13-17, 03:20 PM
R
Ok, thanks. Would it be worth it to rent a concrete grinder? Or should a degreaser, power washer and acid etch do the job?

Also, is old paint an issue? There are some paint drips and a couple spots of overspray from where the previous over spray painted something in the garage. I figure I'd use a putty knife to get the drips up. Will the epoxy adhere to what's left?

As far as coverage goes, it's a two-car garage. Which brings up another issue.

I've watched a few videos and I've seen two different techniques. Some people roll it on out of a pan. And some people pour it on the floor, squeegee it in place, then roll it even.

Is one method better than another? I would guess that rolling it on would require two coats to get even coverage. Do you only need one coat if your pour it on?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: