Garage door opener stuck in Manual mode

Old 02-28-17, 11:42 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door opener stuck in Manual mode

We have Liftmaster 8500 Jackshaft door opener that is only 6 months old. All was well. Yesterday power went out so I pulled the "Release" rope and opened the garage door and closed it. Later in the evening, when the power was back, tried to open the garage door with wired/wireless remote and the lock opens and chain starts but the garage does not open or close. Chain stops after 2/3 seconds.

Opened the front cover of the 8500 and see that the unit is in the manual mode. It has not returned back to the normal position where chain would engage and operate the door. Can add photos if preferred. What do I do to fix it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-17, 12:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Page 32 of manual is what you are looking for. Here is manual.
http://www.liftmaster.com/catalogres...s/114a4573.pdf

Old 02-28-17, 12:42 PM
D
I have already checked the manual and tried these steps.
Springs are all good.

Motor runs and chain runs but the mechanism is disengaged so the roller does not move and after two seconds it stops.

The Lock does get unlocked when open is pressed.

I will add a picture shortly.

It is as if the manual pull has caused the mechanism to remain in the disengaged position forever.

Thanks

Old 02-28-17, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Before messing with it too much, I'd call Liftmaster since it must still be under warranty. Sometimes they know things that aren't in the manual or problems that occur with certain units.

And just to be clear, since you didn't mention it specifically, you did pull the release a 2nd time after power came back?

I only ask cause a guy thought his regular opener was messed up cause it wouldn't re-engage. He had pulled the release a second time but not towards the motor, just straight down, so it never snapped back in. He thought it was broken and was getting ready to call for service.

Old 02-28-17, 05:39 PM
D
> I'd call Liftmaster since it must still be under warranty.

Not under warranty since I bought on EBAY and item was sitting at home for one year until I changed the garage door.

>And just to be clear, since you didn't mention it specifically, you did pull the release a 2nd time after power came back?

No.That part was not done since my wife came home and pushed the button on the remote.

>I only ask cause a guy thought his regular opener was messed up cause it wouldn't re-engage. He had pulled the release a second time but not towards the motor, just straight down, so it never snapped back in. He thought it was broken and was getting ready to call for service.

LiftMaster pull is only one way. i.e. down only. There is no way to pull in another direction.

I will post a picture of the open unit and maybe experts here can assist.

Thanks

Old 02-28-17, 05:47 PM
D
On page 22 of the LF8500 manual, the step 5 says:

5. Reconnect the door to the garage door opener

What is that it is trying to say?

Old 02-28-17, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,176 Votes on 1,090 Posts
They're saying after the second pull..... operate the opener to lock the door back to the chain.

Old 02-28-17, 07:31 PM
D
>They're saying after the second pull..... operate the opener to lock the door back to the chain.

That is what we attempted multiple times.

Basically, the emergency release rope is stuck in the pulled position. It has not gone back up and the assembly is disengaged.

How to release some catch that is holding it that way? Any pull on the rope does nothing since it is already pulled to max. I do see some plastic white thingy at the back.

Old 02-28-17, 08:11 PM
D
Cannot attach a high quality picture.

Please try this link:

http://dangis.com/IMG_8929.jpg

Any suggestion that would allow us to fix this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 02-28-17, 09:58 PM
D
Success at last...........

A hard pull and a hold on the emergency rope with one hand and a juggle to the white plastic piece with a flat screw driver with the second hand made the disengaged locked mechanism move and now I have a working opener.

Many thanks to all experts that responded.