Sliding doors for storage shelving inside the garage

Old 04-30-17, 04:09 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sliding doors for storage shelving inside the garage

The back wall of my garage is maybe 24' long and maybe 10' high. I want to build storage shelving against that wall that goes floor to ceiling and maybe 3' deep.

I also want doors on this unit to hide the mess and clutter. But in order to be able to open the doors with cars in the garage they really need to be sliding doors. I was thinking of using barn door hardware to build that style but they require clearance on the left and right to open/close. I dont have that. This unit will go from the left wall to teh right wall. Accordion doors would be too flimsy/fussy for this application.

Any ideas? To span the entire wall I am thinking six 4' doors that are hung in such a way that they open by sliding right/left. Thanks

Old 04-30-17, 04:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
If you want the whole wall you would need 2 different tracks one in front of the other. That way the end doors could slide to center.

Old 04-30-17, 04:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I have never seen barn doors that require "clearance". You may want to look around for different hardware or see how you can install it differently so the doors can fully overlap. You could do barn doors a couple different ways. If you want to be able to open all the doors so you only have one panel width covering the shelves then you will need a lot of track. One for each panel. That will also make the door assembly thicker as each track and door takes up space. You could also do it with only two or three tracks. This would not be as thick but since several door panels share one track you would not be able to open the doors as completely.

You can also do something using pocket door hardware. It's probably lighter duty but the tracs and hardware will be smaller for a sleeker look. You could also use door tracks without trucks and just let the door panels slide in the tracks. It would be cheaper and simpler but the panels will not move as easily and it would be more susceptible to debris getting in the lower track.

Old 04-30-17, 04:23 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Like closet doors used to be years ago befor bi-fold.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  23.3 KB

As far as the doors, you could use a series of 3' interior doors, that would be the cheapest, I have never looked for anything as large as a 4' wide door.

You might want to think about sectioning the openings off so you have "sets" of doors with stops vs one long row of doors that will be everywhere!

Old 04-30-17, 04:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Dane, I think he is referring to pure barn doors with external tracks. My shop doors open simultaneously to a 12' opening, but require longer tracks to accommodate the doors, running to the outside. I think Don's idea of double tracks so they bypass each other is a good one. Being 24', I would even suggest 3 tracks so you can have more access to a larger area.

Old 04-30-17, 07:33 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Marq1 - where did you find that picture? I think that kind of hardware is what I am looking for.

Thanks for all the replies

Old 04-30-17, 11:17 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: