manual chain drive door stuck open

Old 07-01-17, 02:50 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
manual chain drive door stuck open

my 14 x 16 foot garage door is stuck all the way up, and it is almost tight to the ceiling so I cant see in there very well. I can see that the cables look unwound so I am gonna guess the springs may have let loose? when I try and wind it down I can feel reverse pressure on the chain. any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-17, 03:02 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 588 Posts
You just have to get up there and see what is jamming it. If the cable broke it's possible it has jammed the mechanism.

Old 07-01-17, 03:56 PM
W
thank you pilot dane, I guess I will get some scaffold up there tomorrow and see if I can get a better look.

Old 07-02-17, 03:59 AM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
Is this tension spring or torsion spring? Disconnect any operators. Use C-clamps on rail to prevent door from falling. Then you can cut, untangle or rework your cables.

Old 07-11-17, 02:47 AM
W
well, I was able to get the cables off the cable drums and then using my tractor let the door down and get it back in the track. I can lift it up and down with my tractor. Now the top of the door is so close to the ceiling it is impossible to work on the springs in any position but "fully closed" this is an insulated 14 x14 door, is there a rule of thumb for how many turns I need to put on the springs from this door position or is it all trial and error?

Old 07-11-17, 03:48 AM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
Yes there is. It depends on the size of the door, the weight and the type of spring used. This is a torsion spring and is very dangerous to work on if you're not careful. If you can't get the correct information about the number of turns, then get a professional to do the job. He can also determine why the cable is coming off the drum.

Old 07-11-17, 03:32 PM
W
thanks for your concern norm, I have tightened the torsion springs on my small door before as (all my doors it seems)they are aged and the springs have lost a bit of their power. I believe I can tackle this job but I am not comfortable on a ladder as there is no place to go if things go wrong. I will be putting up a scaffold that gives me a good footing and space to get in a comfortable and safe position. I have a set of rods I made for my other doors and they may fit this door as well, if not I will fabricate a new set to fit snugly. it seems the professionals in the area at not to interested in making a call out here in the sticks unless they are selling new equipment.