Were new rollers necessary?

Old 07-13-17, 10:12 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Were new rollers necessary?

My garage door would bind a third of the way down and go backup 10% of the time in the winter and 2% of the time in the summer. Pulling on it as it came down would help. I lubed the rollers but it didn't help.

I got an email from Sears about a $99 tune up. I figured that was better than randoming turning things myself.

The guy said the problem was that the rail was bone dry and needed grease. BUT... the 10 year old rollers were starting to show age. They didn't need to be replaced now, but would in a couple years. If he did it while he was here, for $228, they waive the $99 tune up charge.
And he assured me they use premium quality ones that have twice the life of cheaper ones.
It used 12 rollers and he said they were $16 each; so $228 for the whole thing was a bargain.

Sure, go ahead.

Was all of that reasonable, or did he find a sucker?

Old 07-13-17, 11:18 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Did the door operate manually without the garage door opener attached? If it worked smoothly in manual mode, then I would have focused on the attachment point and angle at which the arm of the opener was set. But in the end, if it works fine now, then it was money well spent.

Old 07-13-17, 11:22 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Does the door work better now?

Old 07-13-17, 11:32 AM
T
I never had to use the manual release. With pulling down on the door it would close. Maybe not the first time but eventually. Then an hour later it would be fine.

I may not know if it fixed until winter. If I have no problems, then it is fixed.

He says it is dramatically smoother and quieter than before he replaced the rollers. I don't really notice the difference, but I am not saying he is wrong; just that I am don't notice it.

Old 07-15-17, 10:26 AM
T
I see the rollers are about $20, so unless replacing them took several hours, yeah, I got taken. Oh well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: