Door goes bang

Old 07-15-17, 06:03 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Door goes bang

I'm usually on the alarm page but here goes.
Wayne Dalton Torque Master door spring setup.
Problem. Found both door cables in a mess. Door closed. Thought I broke a spring inside the torque tube. Double overhead door . 2 springs. Really HEAVY door.
Removed the torque tube, plastic sleeve, springs. Springs were not broken but were extending beyond the spring end. Kind of "sticking up in the air" rather than stopping at the end of the spiral spring end. "should have taken a photo". There was only about 3/4" of spring that was deformed. I removed the spring from the spring end, used a dremel tool cut off wheel and cut off the 3/4". Screwed the spring end piece back on the spring on both springs. Came out looking great. Put the whole thing back together and adjusted the tension on the whole thing. Everything worked great. Door worked. Went into the house and about a 1/2 hour later I heard a bang. Went out and checked the door - sure enough - could not lift it. Checked both ends. The left side had very little tension on the assembly. Re-applied tension with my drill to match the right side. All good. One hour later - door went bang. Same problem. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-17, 06:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
No idea just made a reply to get back on front page.

Old 07-17-17, 03:26 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
probably the plastic worm gear or something in there broke or is worn and it is releasing tension.... In my opinion it's one of the worst tension systems on the market, on the tube should be a white label stating the weight of the door. You can get a replacement through a wayne dalton dealer make sure you get new end pieces too,or better yet have a door company convert it to a regular torsion assembly.