Recommendations -- Best Openers?

Old 08-15-17, 04:13 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recommendations -- Best Openers?

Wondering if there is a consensus about best garage door openers. Brand and style (chain/belt/screw or whatever). I have a double door, metal. Standard 7'.

The old Chamberlain chain drive needs to be put out of its misery.

Ease of installation would be a good feature, if it doesn't sacrifice quality. Also quieter is better for me.

Last edited by GaryMN; 08-15-17 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-17, 05:37 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I've seen too many of the screw drives fail to be using one. Always had good luck with Chamberlain and Lift Master (same company?).

Old 08-15-17, 05:42 PM
Received 397 Votes on 371 Posts
I have 10 year old Chamberlin belt drives and have been reliable!

Old 08-15-17, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
Chamberlin (sears), Liftmaster, Genie, all have seamed to be good to me. Belt drives are fairly quiet but IMO, it is more the motor that makes the noise.

Ones to stay away from: Wayne Dalton, Xtream Garage.

Old 08-15-17, 07:45 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, Tolyn - Wayne Dalton was the brand of screw drives I've seen fail.

Old 08-16-17, 04:21 AM
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
Liftmaster is the best... it's made by Chamberlain who also makes Craftsman, Raynor and a few others... If you want quiet, get a belt drive. Most all the new ones include Wifi so you can use with your phone. They also have battery backup models if your power goes out a lot.

Old 08-16-17, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Just make sure you don't get the older design (if they still make them) of belt drives. Really nothing more than a chain drive (exposed belt and all) with a belt and plastic cogs instead of a chain and steel sprockets.

I still like Genie screwdrives with easy start and stop options, but I'm biased. Chamberlain screwdrive was what I had at my last house and what I have now and they work just fine. Original to the homes from 1990. Guess you can't complain about that. Cap replacement for one and trolley for the other. If I had to replace, I'd get a Genie.

Old 08-16-17, 06:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 49 Posts
You know I hate to admit when the sailor is right, but I like our Genie screwdrive that we've had for about 10 years. Only failure we've ever had was the teeth wearing out on the carriage.

Old 08-16-17, 07:26 AM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
I think of the Chamberlain/Liftmaster/Craftsman line as pretty much the industry standard as far as durability, reliability, serviceability, etc. With the configuration of our home and garage, and the fact that there are gust two of us, I was not concerned about noise, but when it was time to replace our old one I went with belt drive because that is what my local door company recommended. It is an actual belt, not the older link type that was mentioned, and I still had some initial reservations because they don't look all that durable at first glance, to me anyway, but that was probably 10-15 years ago and I have been very satisfied with it. Since it sounds like you will be installing it yourself, the first thing I recommend is that you check the springs before doing anything else, to ensure that they do not need adjusting or replacing. Detached from the opener, you should be able to operate the door with minimal effort, and it should remain in place, fully open, fully closed, and in between. Door springs can be tricky to adjust, not to mention potentially dangerous, so, if the springs need attention as well, it may be worth hiring a door company to address this first, and may find that it is not much more to have them install the opener while they are there, This is not to detract from this being a do-it-yourself site, but some things are best left for the experts.

Old 08-16-17, 07:35 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Been running a pair of Genie / Overhead Door screw drives for 20 years. One on a single and one on a double door. Worst problem to date was a plastic coupling between the screw and motor. Easy and cheap replacement.

Old 08-16-17, 11:01 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Great help, as usual. Thanks.