Porch awning

Old 09-02-17, 08:51 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Porch awning

I recently bought my first house, and I'm addressing things one at a time. My backyard has a cement porch with an awning that is sort of just a roof extension from the garage next to it. It's pretty much a carport, but there's no way to get a car there. The structure for the awning is made of untreated lumber. The outside has siding and the roof is fine, but the support beams and the entire inside are untreated. It was clearly built some years ago, so the wood has weathered, but it still seems to be solid. Additionally, there were carpenter bees this summer, which I had exterminated, but there are some holes I need to fill.

That brings me to my question. I need to treat this wood and coat it somehow so that it doesn't deteriorate any further and so that the carpenter bees stay away. Any ideas on what I can do? I know I can just paint it, but are there better options? Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 09-02-17, 09:32 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How big is the patio? I know that I'm not really answering your question but there are some very nice heavy duty canvas awnings available as a replacement. You'll never have to treat the wood again & you'll never have to replace the roof.

Old 09-02-17, 09:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I would vinyl side the bottom of the roof using soffit material. The white color will really lighten up the porch and give the ceiling a nice clean look. If that's too expensive I'd paint the roof. Give it a medium pressure washing then let it dry thoroughly before painting.

Old 09-02-17, 09:39 AM
S
Vinyl siding is too flammable for my liking. I don't understand why it's not against code. Don't BBQ under there.

Old 09-02-17, 05:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
If you decide to paint, I'd skip the pressure washer but still clean it. Spray a bleach/water solution on it with a pump up garden sprayer, let it set but not dry then rinse with a garden hose. Once dry apply a coat of oil base primer - that will seal any stains including ink stamps. Finish with 1-2 coats of latex house paint.

Old 09-02-17, 05:56 PM
E
Thanks for the replies, everyone. ShortyLong the awning is really a part of the garage structure, so replacing it with something else would be a big pain. Sounds like cleaning, primer, then paint might be the way to go. Thanks marksr for the cleaning tip. I will give that a try.

Old 09-02-17, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something... but if it never gets wet, why do you think it needs to be treated? You could always prime and paint it. Or cover it with soffit or bead board.

Old 09-02-17, 07:01 PM
E
Originally Posted by XSleeper
Maybe I'm missing something... but if it never gets wet, why do you think it needs to be treated? You could always prime and paint it. Or cover it with soffit or bead board.
Some of it does get wet. In particular, the vertical support beams. Like I said, some of it is a bit weathered, so I want to prevent any further damage. I've seen some epoxy-based treatments and other products that claim to strengthen and restore wood. I was just seeing if anyone recommended anything besides just primer and paint.

Old 09-02-17, 07:07 PM
S
Those are called posts not beams & joists are under the plywood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: