Too many gables?

Old 10-03-17, 08:50 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Too many gables?

I'm planning on adding an attached 2-car garage to an existing home. I'd like some feedback on the design. The home is a ranch and therefore has a low-pitched roof. I want to maximize the loft area above the new garage so I added a gable to each of the 3 new walls (side is full gable, front/back walls are gables offset around 2' from the edge of the garage).

See attached renderings.

This seems abnormal to me, but I'm not an architect or designer so I wanted some feedback. I think it would be even more strange if the garage's roof was higher than the house's, so again, just trying to maximize space up there.

Open to all ideas! Thanks.

Attached Images    
Old 10-03-17, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 776 Votes on 716 Posts
Adding gables does not "maximize the loft area". When using trusses, once the main portion of roof is completed, it is partially sheeted, then a gable truss kit is added to either side. (Your front and rear elevations.) It does not add much, if any additional area.

If you were stick framing it, you might have some additional space... but unless you have a beam or load bearing wall in the garage, the attic will only be suitable for very light storage, no "loft."

Old 10-04-17, 04:37 AM
Received 424 Votes on 395 Posts
For aesthetics the rear one is probably not needed, consider one over the front door instead, that will make a more modern look to the house.

Old 10-04-17, 05:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 745 Votes on 684 Posts
What is your roof pitch? How deep is your house front to back and how wide will the garage addition be? With that information you can figure out how much height and space you will have in the attic. Just guessing but I don't think you will have a great amount of headroom and while adding the gables will create more volume in the attic I don't think it will be a huge amount so I would design the roof for aesthetics.

Old 10-04-17, 07:26 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Was that Bow Window with the vertical panes of glass the location of a current or prior single car garage ?

And the chimney is for a new Fireplace in a Family Room on a slab ?

To make such a home look less linear (excessively long), many people consider putting the addition on the rear and making it an "L" shaped (California Ranch); and then you can skip the gables, and have the Garage Doors exit to the side, not visible from the road..

Would the terrain support making the home a Tri-Level ?

Old 10-04-17, 07:34 AM
J
Thanks for the feedback & info. I was planning on "stick framing" / not using trusses and having a beam in place. Perhaps it's not worth it to go that route, though.

- The pitch is low, I think around 3/12 or 4/12.
- The existing house is about 50x30'.
- The garage would be 24x30'.
- The standing height in the existing attic is non-existent, about 4' is the maximum at the peak. The garage floor would be lower than that of the house, and therefore I could lower the ceiling and gain an extra 1' of wall space in the attic/loft while keeping the same pitch. There definitely won't be any head room to speak of, but I figured having the gables would give a decent amount of additional floor space.
- The rear gable allows room for a staircase to get up there. But perhaps all that's really needed is a ladder / attic-pull-down type thing.

Old 10-04-17, 07:37 AM
J
Hey Vermont (I'm from Vermont, born and raised).

The Bow Window in the design is not correct, I couldn't quite get it to do what I wanted. It's a cantilevered bow in the real world, no wall and no foundation below the overhang.

Everything in brick is existing (chimney). There will be no new fireplace, just a garage. Only the blue lap siding portion is new.

I could perhaps do a side-load garage but I'm also trying to not destroy the large trees which are over on that side of the house, and I can't get any closer to the property line than what is shown in the drawing.

Thanks!

Old 10-04-17, 10:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 745 Votes on 684 Posts
I think the gable on the front of the garage looks OK. It will also help conceal any slight change in the roof plane and shingles with the new construction. The gale on the back side does look out of place and seems like it has no purpose so I would consider leaving that one off.

The gables will give you more headroom in the center corridor but that's it. I'm not a fan of attic storage in general as most items up there probably should go to Goodwill instead of the attic where they get lost for years. I think the gable on the front and end of the house give you a good compromise of more storage access in the attic, good aesthetics and reasonable construction cost.

Old 10-04-17, 02:36 PM
J
Pilot Dane - Thanks, agreed on all points especially the "just donate it" part.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: