Garage to woodshop remodel?

Old 11-12-17, 02:57 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage to woodshop remodel?

I have an ailing detached garage I'd like to turn into a heated woodshop. The inspector said the roof is due to be replaced but it doesn't yet leak and the exterior walls need to be totally redone. It also only has 15amp 110v.

It would probably be best to start with the roof and exterior walls, but I'd like to get a functional workspace and move my tools in quickly. So my plan is to...

A. Block up the gap along the bottom walls seen in the picture with tar paper and 2x4's.

B. Put up wall insulation.

C. Put up 1/4" MDF wood paneling on the inside walls, leaving the ceiling open to watch for eventual leaks.

D. Run a sub panel to the garage...I'd like it to be 220 but only need one 220 outlet. 100amp?

E. Metal conduit outlets outside the paneled walls, to allow for future modifications.

F. A barrel stove in the back corner. Corrugated metal stood off from the walls to protect from heat.

Then in the summer take care of the roof and exterior walls. After that, go back and finish the inside ceiling with insulation and paneling.

Any flaws in my plan? Tips? Better ideas?

Attached Images      
Old 11-12-17, 05:12 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't know why you would do the insulation & paneling before you run the electric. I think that you have that reversed.

Old 11-12-17, 05:35 PM
B
Electric in conduit outside the walls. Makes it easier to rearrange the layout if I want. But yeah, inside the walls would be cheaper and in that case I would do it first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: