Help Switching to new Belt drive from chain drive

Old 11-16-17, 03:19 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help Switching to new Belt drive from chain drive

Hey guys. First timer here, and was looking to get some advice. I just bought a brand new belt drive Craftsman garage door opener. My existing garage is 8 ft and the new kit is only good for up to 7 ft doors. My existing chain drive opener is basically dead. It will buzz when you activate it but not do anything. So my question are as follows:
  1. Is there an alternative way to add this new garage door opener other then purchasing a $60 kit. :/
  2. Second, if there is something that can be done, can I use the existing links that are already mounted. I'm assuming no but wanted to see if anyone might be able to correctly advise me.
I appreciate any help you guys are able to provide. Please let me know if there is any other information that you would need. Thanks so much guys and looking forward to being part of the community.

Old 11-16-17, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You need the correct kit to extend the length of the opener.
None of the old parts will even match up.

Old 11-16-17, 08:07 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your input. What if I switched to a new chain drive model. Would I still need to switch everything?

Old 11-16-17, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
That I couldn't say for sure. It comes as a kit..... usually best to install it all together.

Old 11-17-17, 08:15 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
PJ hit the nail on the head. You may be able to cobble something together if you stay with a chain drive but you are probably just going to spend more money for something that won't last as long. I personally would stay with the belt drive just buy the extinction kit and be done with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: