Replace or Expand a Metal Shed?

Old 11-16-17, 03:26 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replace or Expand a Metal Shed?

I just got a place that has a 12' by 18' metal shed in the back. It is too small for me but I could work with it except for one thing - It's way too short. The peak of the roof is 83" which means there are several beams 71" in height. Being 75" tall that is a problem.

My first inclination was to replace it but when I looked at the shed to demolish it, I saw it really is solid. The construction is panels with small beams at one side going up to a U beam that runs along the roof. The real work of holding it up are 3 sets of U beams at each end and the middle.

It seems that if the upright parts of those beams were replaced by taller ones, I could pop the roof. They don't go into the slab. The problem is I don't know much about metal buildings. In my day I built a fair number of wooden ones so I'd need to learn more about it. I made the mistake of contacting some suppliers and they're worse than auto & insurance salesmen combined.

I'm asking if its worth expanding or just go ahead and replace? I've just retired so my time is free. If i succeeded in raising the roof I could expand out a side and get a more reasonable amount of space. I'm in a small town in southern Arizona and the city doesn't care much as long as I keep it under 400 sq/ft.

Steve

Old 11-16-17, 03:29 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
No one here can see what your seeing, post some pictures please.
Sure sounds like you would be far better off starting from scratch.

Old 11-17-17, 02:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
pics would definitely help - How to insert pictures.

Old 11-18-17, 01:52 PM
S
Sorry for the lack of pictures. I'd originally just thought demolish and put a new one in. I was trying to see how much work it would be to take it apart; I expected to be using my cutting torch. All of the metal screws holding paneling came off easily. I removed and replaced a few panels. The bolts on the main girders also loosened easily. Climate makes a big difference. I've come from wetter places and had heard how hard metal building were to modify due to rust and rot.

This is what I have. The slab is in good shape. The bushes along the side would be torn out to make the shed wider. The doors would also go for something at a decent height or roll up door. Sorry for the bad contrast but that is Arizona.

Attached Images   
Old 11-19-17, 02:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If I was serious about adding on to that shed I think I'd jack up the walls and lay block under them to get the desired height.

Old 11-20-17, 09:38 PM
S
Thanks. That is an interesting idea. I'm not sure what that would do for its stability. Right now it is anchored very firmly. It barely moves in high wind. I could anchor a jacked up building so it wouldn't topple over but I'd wonder about racking.

Steve

Old 11-21-17, 02:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Once the block are mortared in place and the anchors concreted in, you should be able to mount the shed as securely as it is now. Obviously care needs to be used when jacking up the structure along with keeping it stable until you lower it down onto it's new foundation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: