How many blocks for 6x8 shed

Old 11-24-17, 02:13 PM
P
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How many blocks for 6x8 shed

Will be installing 6x8 shed from Suncast - it requires a foundation and I will build a wooden floor resting on solid concrete blocks placed on gravel.
For the 8x6 shed - is it enough to have 4 blocks that are 8x16inch in each corner ?
Should I place additional support somewhere in between ?

Thanks!

PS: Will store seasonal items....lawnmower / snow blower - both walk-behind types...my portable table saw etc...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-17, 02:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 282 Posts
While a block at each corner should be ok, a lot depends on the size of the floor joists.

Old 11-24-17, 02:52 PM
P
using 2x6.... all around and inside every 14 inches as per instructions that were included.
3/4 plywood on top of that

Old 11-24-17, 03:23 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Probably need a little more information on your base of your shed and how it is constructed to carry loads. Four corners would be minimum but what directions are the floor joists and do they go with the 8 foot dimension or perpendicular to that dimension. Is there a rim joists that ties everything together or are they open joists just hanging there?

Old 11-24-17, 03:33 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't understand placing the blocks on gravel. I could understand gravel on the side of the blocks for drainage but not under them.

Old 11-26-17, 12:02 PM
P
Donato - this is one thing I have seen consistent across all different videos, DYI books and articles on the net.... to dig a small hole and compact gravel for the support blocks....couldn't settle on the number of blocks but clearly everyone recommends to set them on gravel.

Old 11-26-17, 03:07 PM
D
AFAIL, gravel doesn't compact very well.

Old 11-26-17, 04:49 PM
P
gravel does compact - it's used for a lot of base before setting up structures/foundations

Old 11-26-17, 07:40 PM
D
Okay, go for it.

Old 11-27-17, 02:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's my understanding that 150+ yrs ago it was common practice to excavate and then use gravel in place of a concrete footer before laying a stone foundation.

Old 11-27-17, 02:38 PM
P
Marksr - I am no expert .... just setting up a 6x8 molded plastic shed on wooden framing/floor as per my Original Post
I checked several trade websites and some magazines and it seems it is common practice to dig a small hole, fill it with gravel, compact it and then place the 16x8 blocks right on the compacted gravel..... Only then you start building the wooden frame for the floor.
I am not pouring concrete foundations nor building stone foundation....

I am here to learn and do things right and if you say that it is OK to build wooden floor on the blocks that rest right on the soil that would be news to me but sure would save me some work....Are you sure this would be OK ???

Old 11-27-17, 03:01 PM
D
What kind of soil is there? Do you plan to compact it before you pour the gravel? What size gravel are you going to use?

Old 11-28-17, 02:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I am here to learn and do things right and if you say that it is OK to build wooden floor on the blocks that rest right on the soil that would be news to me but sure would save me some work....Are you sure this would be OK ???

The thing to remember is it's just a small shed so if it does settle or frost heave it shouldn't be a big deal to relevel it. A concrete footer below the frost line is best but block set on compacted block is better than block just set on the ground. I've never built anything that far north - most of experience is in the southeast.

Old 11-28-17, 09:29 AM
using 2x6.... all around and inside every 14 inches as per instructions that were included. 3/4 plywood on top of that
I think you will be OK with using only 4 outside blocks. As you said, set the blocks on level compacted gravel. The gravel is for both drainage and support, drainage being more important IMO. If the shed settles over time it can be jacked up and shimmed with asphalt shingles or redistributing the gravel.

You could add a few blocks in the middle, but I don't think it's critical.

The span tables can get complicated but a Standard #2 douglas fir 2 x 6 should span at least 9'-10" @ 16" on center with minimum deflection.
Of course you should run them the 6' dimension and you might not feel any bounce at all.

The below pic is how I plan to build my shed foundation, but there is nothing wrong with your plan that I can see.

Attached Images