Garage door powers off and on intermittently for no reason

Old 01-31-18, 07:20 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Garage door powers off and on intermittently for no reason

Hello - I have a Stanley garage door opener that is about 15 years old. It has worked fine over those
years but out of the blue it started to power off and then back on after a minute or so. I have checked the
power source for the opener and that's fine, but to be sure I tried connecting it to a different source and had
the same problem. I took the circuit board out to see if there were any signs of burns/damage but everything
looks good. I'm assuming it's the board anyway but thought I'd pick your collective brains in case I am overlooking anything. Thanks for your time.
C

Old 01-31-18, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
What exactly do you mean by powers off and then on? How do you know it powers off unless it is actually in operation? Not understanding the problem.

Stanley never really made openers, they just licensed the name and have been out of business a long time. I think that company went under about 1997. At least in the US. Some parts are still available like remotes and capacitors or safety beams...but beyond that you'd be better of buying new.

Anyway, your problem just sounds like some sort of loose connection. Does it occur at any certain time or when a train rumbles by?

Old 02-03-18, 09:27 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reply: Garage door powers off and on intermittently for no reason

Thanks Gunguy45 for the reply and apologies for the lack of clarity of the problem. Let me restate it a different way. Whether I open (or close) the garage door, after a minute or so the unit will just power off. I can see the sensor lights go out and hear the unit signify that the power is gone (there's sort a little whistle sound it makes when the power is turned off and it makes the same sound). Then after another minute or two it will power back on as if nothing happened. When the power is on I can open and close the door, but lately it is opening about two feet and then it stops. It will close completely to the floor. I thought there may have been some loose wiring or a loose circuit board but everything is tight. The sensors are accurately aligned and clear. The unit has operate completely fine since it was installed about 15 years ago. I don't mind replacing it if I have to but before I go that route I want to be sure it's not something small. There are no burn marks or missed solder pieces on the board. I wasn't sure if it was the capacitor based on some of the things I've read on the Forum.
Thanks again.
C

Old 02-03-18, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
It sounds like a power supply failure. Not much we can help you with there. Pretty hard to comment on board failure/repair.

You would need to check thru the board and find out what is losing power. Usually there is a transformer. Start there. There may be a capacitor on the board. Check that. There maybe a separate motor capacitor. It won't be that.

A model number could be helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: