Garage shelf before or after drywall

Old 02-17-18, 06:31 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Garage shelf before or after drywall

I need to build a wooden shelf across the back wall of my garage that spans the entire width and am wondering if it makes much difference if I build it before or after drywall. Reason being is my building permit is about to expire and I need to get the sheet rock hung asap. I didn't plan on doing the shelf until later this spring. Benefits I can see from building it now are the walls are open, so I can see where all the studs are and can install posts at the ends if needed for additional support (shelf will be 12'-6" wide). However, if I build it now, it will be part of my building inspection, which I hadn't planned on. I want to do it properly regardless. Does code dictate how a storage shelf should be built? I planned on nailing a 2x6 ledger to the studs across the back wall and a double 2x6 beam from left to right wall, with 2x4 supports spaced 24" and 3/4" plywood on top. Will this suffice for a 2' deep shelf?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-18, 06:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 210 Votes on 186 Posts
Hang the rock first. It will be easier to install the rock without the shelf being there, plus you will likely need to have a fire barrier there and that would be hard to do with a shelf there.

There are many ways to install shelving over drywall that is just as secure. Finding the framing will not be an issue.

Get rocking!

Old 02-17-18, 06:48 AM
M
Should have mentioned that there will be no support posts in between the span and supporting the shelf by the rafters is not an option. In other words, the only support will be from the ledger across the back wall and side walls. I just realized I won't be able to install jack studs on the left side because the chimney is there. I thought of resting the shelf onj top of the chimney ledge, but I need to maintain 2" of clearance for fire code. Looks like my only option is ledgers on the sides as well. Kind of defeats the purpose of a double 2x6 across the front. If I absolutely have to, I could probably live with a 4x4 post in the middle of the span. I'll sketch something up and provide a picture shortly to facilitate the discussion.

Old 02-17-18, 06:51 AM
M
Hang the rock first. It will be easier to install the rock without the shelf being there, plus you will likely need to have a fire barrier there and that would be hard to do with a shelf there.

There are many ways to install shelving over drywall that is just as secure. Finding the framing will not be an issue.

Get rocking!
Okay. I'm happy to hear that because I was not prepared to do this shelf. I need to get sheet rock hung and get my final inspection

A little off topic, but I was under the impression that the sheet rock had to be 5/8" when there is living space on the other side of the wall. However, the inspector told me 1/2". I forget where I read 5/8" was needed

Last edited by mossman; 02-17-18 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-17-18, 07:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
5/8" is normally required as a fire barrier between the garage and the living space. Extra strict places require it doubled up with the seams staggered. Do you trust the inspector to sign off if you do use 1/2"?

Old 02-17-18, 08:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 210 Votes on 186 Posts
One other thing I just thought of: You could also install backing (2x material between the studs) in the wall before you rock so you could attach the shelving without searching for framing.

Around me it is required to be 5/8" drywall and one coat of tape, commonly referred to "fire taped", between the garage and living spaces. Unless they make 1/2" that gives you a 1hr fire barrier I would use 5/8".

Old 02-17-18, 08:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,119 Votes on 1,039 Posts
I thought this was an addition on an existing house. Isn't there existing sheathing ?

Old 02-17-18, 01:22 PM
M
One other thing I just thought of: You could also install backing (2x material between the studs) in the wall before you rock so you could attach the shelving without searching for framing.
Good idea. Thanks!

5/8" is normally required as a fire barrier between the garage and the living space. Extra strict places require it doubled up with the seams staggered. Do you trust the inspector to sign off if you do use 1/2"?
Not really. I'll give the county a call on Tuesday to find out for sure.

I thought this was an addition on an existing house. Isn't there existing sheathing ?
It is. I removed the aluminum siding and original sheathing (asphalt board). It was badly chewed up from termites along the bottom and I wanted to tear it off down to the studs so I had a clean slate so to speak.