Heavy-duty hoist/lift

Old 02-28-18, 07:29 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Heavy-duty hoist/lift

Looking for a pulley style lift to hoist a 250 lb dirt bike 12 feet overhead in my garage. I've seen products that are similar to what I'm looking for, but not with the amount of capacity I need. Anyone have any recommendations? Maybe a custom cable and pulley solution is the answer.

Old 02-28-18, 07:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I had one for my old outboard boat motor. A block and tackle.

google/search=block+and+tackle=source/images

Old 02-28-18, 08:32 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
A 1 ton long-lift chain hoist from import hardware chain is about $70.

Old 02-28-18, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Jeez...my not just something like an ATV winch? Mount on wall and run to/through pulley on ceiling? Probably do the whole shebang for $125...incl a new battery if needed.

Is your structure reinforced to support that kind of point load?

Old 03-01-18, 05:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Is this your new garage? Was the ceiling designed to support that load? Depending on the hoist system you choose there will be 300+ pounds hanging from that small point load.

I don't like the idea of having anything dangerous held by a single item or anything where the failure of a single piece could hurt someone. Since you are hoisting it so high I assume this will be for long term storage. I would also have additional hangers in the ceiling that you can tie or hook onto the bike to provide backup support. This could also help spread the weight over a larger area.

Old 03-01-18, 05:30 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
ATV winch is an idea. I want it to be readily accessible without taking up any floor space. I would install a beam across the width of the garage to support the load, as the trusse were not designed to sustain this kind of weight. There is one other possible location which would be off to the side (in a nook), which would be safer, but I'd still want to get the bike up off the floor four or five feet so I could store things underneath. I could use a winch as suggested to get the bike up to the ceiling, then use some heavy duty hooks and straps to secure the bike (e.g. a hook on each side of the handlebar and hooks/straps on the subframe or swingarm. I put a 20A outlet in the nook area, so I wouldn't need a battery.

Old 03-01-18, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
The reason I suggested an ATV winch was cost and capacity. You don't need anything super heavy duty (which would only be a pain anyway) and a decent 120V winch could cost quite a bit more with capacity you don't need.

You could always hook a manual safety line to it before lifting, then secure that after it's in position.

I'm not sure if they make winches like that with manual locking pawls of some sort...or whether it would be needed. Ideally, yes...practically, maybe not.

Old 03-01-18, 11:46 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Consider a boat winch as pictured here:

Attached Images  
Old 03-01-18, 07:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have a cabinet lift that utilizes a boat winch as pictured above. It can easily lift 250# or more.
It already comes with the web belting. All you would have to do is figure out how to get the base platform to slide up and down on some type of square aluminum post.

Here's a link to the jack I own:
https://www.e-zspreadnlift.com/details.htm

Old 03-01-18, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
I think the problem with a hand crank would be orientation of the spool. If it's mounted to the studs, the handle won't turn completely. If you mount it so the handle turns fully, you'd have to use two pulleys to let the cable spool and unspool at the right angle and the mounting would have to be much more robust. An electric of some sort won't have those issues since it's more compact and already set up to spool the correct way. You'd need about 30 ft of cable at least to allow full lift. There are any number of both 12V and 120V winches for cheap on the market that have more than enough weight capacity and cable length. Of course, that's for the setup I have in my mind, Mossman may be picturing something completely different.

Old 03-02-18, 05:28 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Just a note, but remember that a single point attachment with a pulley lifting 250 pounds will need to be able to handle at least 500 pounds, the load plus the pulling force. There are ways to avoid the x2 load but wanted to mention it while you are in the design stage.

My first thoughts were the boat boat lift as Wirepuller suggested, except using a rope version and two of them, one for front and one for back.

Bud

Old 03-02-18, 06:15 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
How about an electric hoist?
The 880 pound capacity of this model is with the line doubled & using the block. Single line capacity is half that with double the cable length. There's also a 440# model but if you need the extra lift height the 220# rating might not offer enough safety margin.

I have one mounted over my garage door header and use it often to lift the front of my zero-turn to clean the deck and change blades.

https://www.harborfreight.com/880-lb...rol-62854.html

Old 03-02-18, 06:56 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
A worm gear version would probably work better than my previous suggestion:

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: