Garage Door Manufactures

Old 08-07-18, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Garage Door Manufactures

I need to replace my garage door. Looking into garage door companies I couldn't find any reviews on the garage door manufactures. Living in Florida DAB seems to have great hurricane rating doors but also CHI, and Cloplay have nice looking doors. That meet state requirements. From what I've been reading online its not so much about the steel door then it is about the hardware. Do any of you have experience with these manufactures and what type of hardware do you suggest to install in with it? Should the stock hardware be sufficient or what other option of hardware would you chose and why?

Last edited by Shadeladie; 08-07-18 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-18, 08:20 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
FWIW, I live in upstate NY so storms don't play a factor for me. But if the manufacturers have hurricane ratings I don't think you anything to worry about concerning one mfg vs another. What kind of quotes have you gotten and what makes one brand different from another? You will want torsion springs, not tension. That's important. Beyond that I think aesthetics will determine your choice.

Let's hers what Doorman has to say.

Old 08-07-18, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It gonna be a $200-$300 different between all three manufactures. We want a torsion spring. My wife likes the look of the other two doors (CHI and Cloplay). Could care less about the look as long as it withstand florida storms. They are all very similiar besides the look and and color options. I think the hardware is different but not sure how different.

Last edited by 77crash; 08-07-18 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-07-18, 05:18 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
I have two doors from CHI and am very happy with them. I don't know why but some how I think Cloplay may be considered the "cheap" door. But I may be totally wrong. Do you have choice of metal? Steel vs Aluminum? Don't get fiberglass, they are weak, flimsy and will deteriorate in the hot sun. I also would suggest the top panel be glass, to allow some natural light in the garage.

Old 08-07-18, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I've dealt with Clopay, Wayne-Daltton, CHI (what I have now)...there are many others depending on region.

Personally, I thought WD looked cheap (on the interior) with the less than top of the line, because they used just a vinyl backing...though they were using sprayed poly when most others were using styrofoam. The doors were solid though. Clopay I think got a bad rep as they were/are sold for DIY install in HD stores. People don't read and figure "Oh, I don't need to buy that expensive bracket, I'll just use this here rusty angle iron I have" and would want to keep the manual lock installed and then wonder why their opener pulls out and damages the door. I'm also a bit biased since Clopay is made in my hometown and I've always gotten a little better treatment I believe (since I make sure to catch up on local things before I called them...lol.).

The CHI I have now looks almost identical to a Clopay with slightly different parts.

I think they all pretty much look the same from the outside, depending on how they are spec'd.

As long as you get one that meets the wind code specs, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them....it's going to be more about the installation and the rep of the installing dealer. You can go overkill for a bit more money in some areas. If the ones that meet code spec 2 struts, go ahead and have 4 installed. If there are options on rollers (don't think there are), get the HD ones. Go with better springs if available. Etc Cheap insurance.

Old 08-08-18, 02:23 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
I like Clopay, Raynor and CHI. I don't know anything about wind codes because I live in NY as well