Help adding wood swing to shed.

Old 08-16-18, 02:17 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help adding wood swing to shed.

I am looking for advice on how to go about adding supports on the left side of shed for adding a wood swing with chains..

i am only allowed to have a 10x12 max shed which I am at, so I don't believe I can extend the roof out on the left side as I will be headed into gray areas with Hoa and not interested in the conversation or approvals at this stage.

what I would like to do is put 2 supports maybe 2x6 coming out through the peak. I will be using trusses constructed of 2x4's for the roof, with metal gusset plates.

What would be the best approach to support the appropriate weight for the swing, distributed across the two supports..?

here is a picture of the shed in its current stage.

Last edited by Eaglei22; 08-16-18 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 08-16-18, 02:40 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
What is your definition of a "wood swing"? Is is a small swing like a child would use or a two or three person wide porch swing? In either case supporting the weight is the easy part. Where it gets tough is stabilizing your support against the side to side motion when swinging.

Old 08-16-18, 02:46 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Using a swing will rock the shed. The shed "legs" would need to be planted in the ground to help stabilize the structure.

Old 08-16-18, 03:33 PM
E
Yes, a porch swing that can sit 2-3 people with a backing.

Also, the way the current shed legs are mounted, and the weight of the shed wouldn't stabalize it enough? The footings go 45 inches down.

Also i plan to have the swing facing to the left, with back to left side of shed.

Old 08-16-18, 04:55 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Why does it even need to be attached to the shed?
Why so many windows?
The more windows the more it will cost and less wall space to hang things.
Unless you add some form of backing there's nothing strong enough to attach the beam to for the swing.

Old 08-16-18, 08:22 PM
E
I like windows.

it doesn't have to be attached to the shed, but with the slope it seemed like a nice elegant solution and eye appealing, as this is a center piece now of the backyard. I guess i could anchor it to its own support in the ground, but it seemed like it would look nice attached to the shed. Trying to make the shed look like a little house, for more of an aesthetic value.

That's what im asking, the best way to add the overhanging support if possible. Im thinking 2x6s like a joist anchored to the trusses a couple feet into the attic with some verticle 2x4s and hurricane type straps. But im a computer programmer, not a structural engineer, so looking to see if anyone has done this before, or has any knowledge on the best way to add some support.

We aren't planning on swinging 10ft up in the air, just looking for something free hanging to enjoy the cornfield view and sip some coffee or drink a beer.

Old 08-17-18, 04:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I would use doubled up 2x8 at each end of the swing extending out the end of the shed like you mentioned. I would not skimp on their length and would like to see at least 1/2 their length and preferably 2/3 their length inside the shed and anchored to your joists. You will need a strap, metal bracket or a through bolt with a large washer on top for hanging the swing since your hanger will likely be right in the center at the joint between the two pieces of 2x8. That will support the weight.

As you swing it will generate a lot of back and forth movement which will be transferred to your shed. The front and back walls (really all four) should be solid sheeted with plywood or OSB. That will create a shear wall to prevent the shed from being racked or twisted.

Old 08-17-18, 03:03 PM
E
Okay thanks Pilot Dane. I will follow up with pictures of the finished product, or mpre questions if necessary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: