Cable length on shorter torsion spring garage door

Old 08-26-18, 05:34 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cable length on shorter torsion spring garage door

I have to admit I didn't do a search on this, I was excited to find this forum and needed to pin this down soon. I am replacing the bearing on my torsion spring door, replacing the opener, and replacing both cables. I ordered 7' cables from amazon, then measured my door to find out it is 6'6". I came back to Amazon to look for cables for a shorter door and couldn't find any. I have NOT taken the old cables off to measure them yet. Has anyone been faced with this yet? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-18, 03:29 AM
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
Cable length should be 18 inches over door height for a regular residential door

Old 08-27-18, 04:04 AM
L
Thanks for the prompt reply. I will get some ferrules and be prepared to shorten the cables I have coming from Amazon and re-doing the loop.

Old 08-28-18, 03:21 AM
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
It will be easier to re-crimp a stop end but not impossible to do the loop end. They really should be crimped with a tool instead of flattening with a hammer. I have flattened the stop end with a hammer in a pinch. Or stop by your local door company they may do it for you for free. Make sure they are equal lengths.

Old 08-28-18, 06:11 PM
L
I ended up doing the solid end as you suggested. I bought a pair of crimping pliers from HF but they wouldn't squeeze the ferrule. I ended up using a large set of bolt cutters, being sure I didn't cut through it. Did a great job on crimping.