Considering an office themed "She-Shed"

Old 12-21-18, 03:07 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Considering an office themed "She-Shed"

Hi guys! I'm moving to a work-at-home job next year and I'm thinking of having hubby build me a She-Shed but all the ones I see online are simple 10x12 or so arrangements. I think I might need something a little bigger. Some of the things I'll need:

Heat/AC (Window Unit?)
Insulation, and a ton of it.
Windows, maybe a skylight.
Room for a standard sized desk (2x4' or so)
Room for a daybed for those times I "can't even..." (6'x4' or so)
Room for a couple of chairs and a small coffee table (6' round area for all maybe?)

That's the general idea anyway. I think I might need about a 16x12 floor for this. What do you guys think? Any other tips? We're only going to be about 10' from our main house so running a separate line to the electric box shouldn't be a problem. And when it rains, I can still scoot in without any trouble.

Edited to add: Hubby is very handy and has built sheds before.

Old 12-21-18, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
First things first, have you investigated requirements for permits and what is allowed? Setback requirements, things like that? Or do you have a large plot of land where space isn't an issue?

Oh, and I noticed you're in OK, so storm-resistant so it can't do a Dorothy & Toto?

Old 12-21-18, 03:53 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Haha! No, we're just in the paper stage right now. Probably building in January/Feb. Our land is a full acre so we're good on space. We'll call about a permit when we have a good idea of what we're building. Surely they won't throw a fit about a shed, right?

For storm resistance, we need to withstand 60mph winds where we are so that's a good thought. We regularly have 60-70 mph winds just as a matter of course (not storms).

Old 12-21-18, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Surely they won't throw a fit about a shed, right?
It sounds like you'll be pushing the definition of a shed.

Old 12-21-18, 05:21 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
You're going to need to consider foundation. If you want to put this on a slab or blocks & if you need peers & how deep etc.
I built a 16 X 24 shop & put it on 96... yes, 96.... cinder blocks in north Louisiana & it still settled & I was continually trying to keep it level. Just consider your soil & foundation type when putting this on paper. Good luck

Old 12-21-18, 05:47 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Surely they won't throw a fit about a shed, right?
Every area is different but easy to check online for you city/county/township.

In our township anything under 200 sq ft doesn't even require a permit although they request a site plan to put it in the books, ie, you get taxed.

Something that small would be good for just a 4" slab, again need to check, gets classified as accessory building, nothing complex!

Old 12-21-18, 07:52 PM
D
Received 105 Upvotes on 99 Posts
For heat/AC use mini split. They have variable speed fan and compressor that adjusts to actual load. Very quiet, comfortable and economical. The old window AC's are stone age .. on off monsters.

Splits are actually easy to install with precharged lines.

https://www.pioneerminisplit.com/col...BoCuhMQAvD_BwE

Old 01-29-20, 07:13 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
For what you're asking for a 10 x 12 seems a bit cramped. I agree a 16 x 12 makes more sense. Before you decide to build it yourself, check out pre built or an Amish built unit. Can't re-iterate enough about Dixie2012 concerning a foundation. A skylight is a great feature, but be prepared for leaks and repair several years down the road. The newer LED lamps are so good that they mimic daylight very well, may not need a skylight. Skip the day bed, and just go for a small size sofa.

One last thought. You're only going about 10 feet from house. carefully consider an addition to house. Yes it will cost more and your taxes will go up. But you add big value to home and you get all the conveniences of an attached room that can be used for more than just a office. One of the big advantages is that plumbing is quickly available along with phone and kitchen options. And it will be built to match climate conditions.

Old 01-29-20, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Norm, this thread is from over a year ago. A spam post brought it back to life (now removed)!

Old 01-29-20, 07:31 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Boy I need to look at those dates!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: