Torsion Spring Adjustment

Old 12-26-18, 07:54 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Torsion Spring Adjustment

I disconnected my door opener (Liftmaster 8500 jackshaft) the other day and found that the door feels very heavy, as if the torsion spring is providing very little assistance. I imagine this is putting undue stress on the opener. Shouldn't the door open with very little effort if the spring is adjusted properly? Is this something I can attempt myself without special tools? Door is a 7' x 8' Clopay Insulated (polyurethane) 3-layer steel door.

Old 12-26-18, 11:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
First, check out some websites and videos on how to adjust torsion springs. They demand a fair bit of respect and you absolutely don't want it to get away from you. Another set of hands would be a big help as one person can adjust the tension and hold the spring in place while the other person tightens the bolts to lock it in place.

You will probably need a wrench and a couple round, steel bars. Take a look at your spring. One end probably has some holes around the circumference. You'll want two sturdy pins or rods about 18"+ long that can fit into those holes. You'll insert a pin into a hole and turn to tighten or loosen tension on the spring. You need two rods so you can hold the spring tension with one while you insert the next rod for more tensioning.

Old 12-26-18, 12:35 PM
M
Thanks for the tips. I'll probably just have the company that installed it come back out and adjust it. Does it sound like the tension needs to be increased base on the excessive effort it takes to open? Shouldn't it open as easily as a door with extension springs? It is nowhere near that easy. And am I right that it could very well wear out my opener prematurely?

Old 12-26-18, 01:18 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Yes, yes, and yes. In my opinion, that is a very good and durable opener, and probably could withstand the load for a long time to come, but \, nevertheless, the opener is just that, an opener, not intended to compensate for springs that are out of adjustment, so good call on your part to identify and correct it.

Old 12-26-18, 01:41 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
If it's adjusted right you should be able to open it with one hand and it should stop anywhere along the travel if you take your hand off the door.

Old 12-26-18, 02:06 PM
M
If it's adjusted right you should be able to open it with one hand and it should stop anywhere along the travel if you take your hand off the door.
I can and it does, but it takes considerably more effort than other doors I've opened that use extension springs, which is why I am questioning if it needs to be replaced.

Old 12-30-18, 08:25 AM
M
I can and it does, but it takes considerably more effort than other doors I've opened that use extension springs, which is why I am questioning if it needs to be replaced
Meant to say "adjusted", not "replaced".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: