Need new doors

Old 01-21-19, 12:10 PM
N
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Need new doors

Hi all. Not really a DIY question, but would love your thoughts/input as to what type of new garage doors I should be looking at. I've been advised to get steel, but beyond that there seems to be different thicknesses, R-values, etc. I'm in the northeast so it gets cold in the water, so a higher R value would be nice, but not really sure it makes a difference as the garage isn't heater... but maybe it still helps keep out some of the cold?

I assume the thicker the door the better as well, but does it really make a difference/is it worth the cost?

Anything else I should be aware of when picking a door?

Thanks!

Old 01-21-19, 01:49 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Is your garage attached to the house? Is your garage insulated? I would not bother with insulated doors on a detached, un-insulated garage but if the garage is insulated and attached to the house I think insulated door would be worth it.

Heavier gauge is stronger and more resistant to denting so if you have kids it might be worth it. I would also consider thicker steel if you are in a coastal area or somewhere prone to storms or high winds.

Old 01-21-19, 01:56 PM
N
Yes, attached to house. Not insulated as far as I know.

We do have kids.

We're not really near a coast (15 miles north of the long island sound) and don't often have major storms/high winds, then again, these past few years there have been the occasional big one (Sandy...) and some other fairly decent ones.

Old 01-21-19, 01:59 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Pretty much agree with PD. But I question on the insulation. If the cost is nominal then yes get insulation, but if it's $200 or more I don't think it's worth it. I have attached garage without insulated doors. Never seemed to be a problem.

What I do think is worth the cost is getting a torsion spring vs tension springs. Also get the upper panel skylines. That will give enough light to see without having to turn on the lights every time, but won't give visual access to the inside from strangers.

Old 01-21-19, 03:14 PM
N
Ok thanks. I'll keep all this in mind.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: