Garage door won't stay open?

Old 08-01-19, 09:06 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage door won't stay open?

Normally, my garage door can stay opened when manually raising it up (automatic opening device broke a while back). Today I tried to open the garage door and notice that the door just keeps sliding back down all the way. It was also easier to lift up compared to usual. Anybody know which part might be at fault or what the problem is?

Old 08-01-19, 10:02 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
Take a look at the springs and cables to make sure nothing has broken or come unhooked.

Old 08-01-19, 10:10 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Sounds like or at least related to a spring or a cable. Do you have extension springs or torsion springs? Extension springs run along the horizontal part of the track at the ceiling and torsion springs run along the header. You may be able to spot the problem by comparing the various components of the two sides.

Old 09-14-19, 04:04 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Today I tried to open the garage door and notice that the door just keeps sliding back down all the way. It was also easier to lift up compared to usual.
Something doesn't make sense here. If the door slides down under it's own weight then it must be very heavy to lift. That is why you have spring assist. But I agree with every one else, you have a spring problem or possibly a very loose cable on one side vs the other.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: