Chain Drive Door Travel Issue

Old 09-20-19, 12:50 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chain Drive Door Travel Issue

My 1/2 HP chain drive opener is the type with a gear operated travel limit switch. A metal contact plate travels on a threaded rod which rotates while the opener operates. When the plate touches either the up or down contact tab, the opener stops. The contact tabs are mounted on threaded rods of their own so they can be manually adjusted closer or farther away from the moving center contact plate. By adjusting the distance that the moving center contact plate has to travel to touch either contact tab, you control how far the door travels in either direction.

For some reason, my opener is stopping before it reaches full down or full up even though the moving center plate is not reaching either contact tab. The door itself is well-balanced and moves freely manually. The problem began after I changed the main nylon drive gear in the opener. However, the opener and door were working fine after I changed the gear. I adjusted the chain tension and door travel after I finished swapping out the drive gear, but after a week of working fine, the problem I described started all of the sudden.

Any ideas what it may be? It would be a real coincidence if something electronic (e.g., circuit board) was responsible so soon after I repaired the main drive gear.

Old 09-20-19, 12:58 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oh, BTW, adjusting the force settings doesn't affect the door's inadequate travel distance. Because the door moves freely and chain isn't too tight, I didn't expect the force settings to make any difference.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: