Options for building a loft in garage

Old 11-25-19, 08:22 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Options for building a loft in garage

Hello, I rent a garage that is 24' by 30' for car repair and building my racecars and that has been plenty for my crew for a while, but the floor space gets more and more limited as we move spare parts and tools from storage and our own garages into the shop to the point where (as you can see in the pic from when we first moved in) 3 to 4 feet on either side is taken up by parts and tools and that's a huge waste of space even if we install more shelves. I would love to build a loft over the back of the garage above our toolboxes for parts/tools storage and maybe the couch and tv but due to the lease agreement we are pretty limited on options. I am a complete amateur woodworker however my father and some of my friends have agreed to help me build it on the condition that i get it all designed and get the materials. here's my list of requirements and restrictions, can anyone help me figure out a plan or do we need to get more expensive and buy a professional/premade metal raised platform?
requirements:
6'-8' wide away from the back wall
high enough for people to walk under comfortably
must be able to walk in and out of the space under the loft easily(putting 8 support posts across the garage isn't an option as that's where we keep our tools)
must be able to support a person or two plus a variety of car parts and tools(most likely won't be anything as heavy as an engine as we'd have to get it up into the loft and we are far too lazy)
restrictions:
cannot drill into the walls or floor(could make a floor underneath the loft as a base to attatch posts to if necessary but this will up cost greatly)
cannot have more than 3 support posts(one on either side and one in the center) on the front side so that access to under the loft is easy

thanks in advance!

Attached Images  
Old 11-25-19, 10:46 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
must be able to support a person or two plus a variety of car parts and tools
So basically a deck on steroids!

Biggest question is what is going to be stored, you stated nothing heavy but I know what my tool boxes weigh, and I know if you build it it's going to be filled up!

I think this is the biggest unknow, you either have to limit the space to living area which is basically a deck, or you have to assume tons of parts and over build to accommodate!

Old 11-30-19, 07:38 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
well the plan is to move all the space consuming light stuff and the living area to an upstairs, so frequently used and heavy stuff can stay accessible, lots of the space on our shelves and floor is taken up by large organizers, a couch, boxes and boxes of light stuff like spare hose, wire, electronics, and the stuff that takes a lot of space up but isn't necessarily that heavy like engine stands, portable air compressors, portable power washer, tires, seats. but yes it will essentially be a raised deck that we can't drill post holes for

Old 11-30-19, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Sounds like it could easily be done with 3 6x6 posts in front and back. These will be notched to hold your beams. Floor joists will be in hangers in between the beams with a plywood subfloor perpendicular to the joists. Build it tight to the walls but not attached and it can't go anywhere. Biggest danger would be driving a car into the center post if you can't attach the posts.

You building stairs up it? The stairs and deck will need an osha approved railing. You will have a small fortune in wood but you could always disassemble it all if you use screws and bolts.

Old 12-01-19, 03:16 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
And just to be safe, 2x10's for the joists, better to overbuild and not worry about those extra parts that ended up there.

Dont forget the railing!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: