Torsion Spring Replacement

Old 12-15-19, 06:19 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Torsion Spring Replacement

Hey everyone, the torsion spring broke, and I am looking at replacing it. I have done some research and am surprised that my door only has 1 spring on it. The door is 16' x 7 ', non-insulated, metal (maybe steel?). The existing spring is 32" long, 2" inside diameter, and 0.25 inch thick.

I am a little confused because the replacement springs are color coded. My broken spring is not color coded, so is there a way to figure out which color is the right replacement?

My second question is should I replace with 2 springs? The house was new when we moved in and this spring lasted 7 years. I don't know if that is good or bad...If I go back with 2 springs, do I have to change other things in the installation? Does this become a much bigger project now?

I have heard that this can be a dangerous job with the large amount of tension on the spring, but I think I am up for it.

My last question is what should I look for in a quality replacement spring? I don't want to get a piece of junk that won't last. Is there a place that sells good quality springs?

Thanks!

Old 12-16-19, 12:11 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I have heard that this can be a dangerous job with the large amount of tension on the spring
The one job I simply am willing to pay $100 to let a pro do!

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 12-16-19, 11:21 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Very straight forward job but very dangerous if anything goes wrong. This is also a job we hire out on our units even though it would fall within our skill set.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: