Pinhole leaks in sheet metal shed roof

Old 09-02-22, 02:22 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pinhole leaks in sheet metal shed roof

Can I use asphalt driveway sealer to cover an old flat galvanized sheet metal shed roof that has pinhole leaks?

More than 30 years ago a previous owner built a 126 square foot shed on my property. It's a welded steel frame with tarps for three sides and three long pieces of thin galvanized steel sheeting for the flat roof. Last winter I had to start keeping some machinery in the shed. In spring the dirt floor was a muddy mess. The machinery was OK because I had it tarped and on skids, but getting it out through the muck in spring was a pain. I've solved the muck problem by covering the floor with old concrete patio slabs that I got for free. I'd now like to fix the pinhole leaks, but need a solution that's very cheap and easy to apply. I tried rolling on a small can of Flex Seal liquid rubber sealant, but the liquid is very thin/fluid and spreading enough to fill in the pinholes would cost several hundred dollars. A $40 can of driveway sealer would cover the roof with 3 or 4 coats. The roof is sheltered by tall cedar trees but snow can pile up over a winter.

Plan B is to work from the inside and use caulk to fill in most or all of the pinholes one by one. They show up very well on a sunny day now that I've cleaned about a half-inch of dirt and cedar needles off the roof. The underside of the roof is clean and easy to access on a step ladder.

Thanks for any help.

Old 09-02-22, 02:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
I've never heard of anyone using asphalt sealer on a metal roof. I'd be inclined to use something like this [assuming I didn't mind a black roof] https://www.lowes.com/pd/APOC/5013298735

How many holes are there? Caulking is a good idea.

Old 09-06-22, 03:20 AM
J
I've repaired pinhole leaks on a metal shed using an adhesive metal foil tape made by Nashua. I don't see a descriptive name on it, just Nashua Tape (on the inside of the roll). It's a thin metal tape, 2 inches wide, with a strong adhesive covered by a removable backing. I've also used it to patch a plastic tarp. You just cut a small piece to cover the hole, peel off the backing, press it down on the cleaned metal, and roll something over it to make sure it's adhering well.

I think it's called foil duct tape, the outside is shiny like tin foil. I bought it at Home Depot.

Old 09-06-22, 12:50 PM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Lowes has a elastomeric sealer coating for $30 for 3.6 quart/ 3.4 L can. Not sure how far that would go to cover your roof. I would think you could put a masking tape on the underside to hold the stuff in the pinholes until it dries.
This stuff is flexible and says it works well on metal roofs.

Old 09-06-22, 02:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
The elastomeric roof coating works well but it needs to be applied over rust free metal, if there is rust you should apply a solvent based primer first. Rust will come thru elastomeric unless it is stopped first.

Old 09-12-22, 07:48 AM
C
Thanks for all the advice. I decided to take the easiest cheapest route for this winter and just caulked the pinholes and seams. We got a heavy rain overnight (finally!) and I see no wet spots. Will again tarp all machinery parked in the shed for the winter. Will most likely paint/roll a better coating next spring when I have time to look at everything available in the local stores. Caulk may be OK now but will get me into a game of whack-a-mole as more pinholes appear -- the shed is very old. I made a big mistake in using clear caulk I already had. Sunlight shines through so there's no way to spot new holes. Flex-Seal liquid rubber has adhered very well to the small area where I applied it. Per marksr's comment, there is rust on the roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: